Rasberry Sorbet

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Finally it is flowering. I've watched this scrawny vine all summer for flowers. The spidermites love it.

Thumbnail by Calalily

Another flower. It had about six on it over the weekend. I don't think they stay open very long.

Thumbnail by Calalily
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Susie-
I agree with you on both accounts. It is a pretty vine, and it does seem to attract spider mites. When I bought mine, it already had spider mites on it, lol...
But, it is a very pretty color of raspberry.
-T

I think this one had mites when I bought it. The camera didn't do justice to the color.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you tried propagating it, yet? I have, and it seems a lot more resistant to root, than the other thunbergias...
Wonder if this is one of those F1, or lab created ones...
-T

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I have the same vine, which pretty much just sat and did nothing during the heat of the Summer. Now that the temperatures have gotten cooler, it has grown tremendously and was blooming a lot more. So, I hope it will really take off for you now.

I just had to dig up my vine and I was going to over winter it in my garage. I really don't want to bring it inside, if it is so prone to spider mites. Hope it will be okay in my garage. I'll let you know next Spring!

I can't get it to root(but that's nothing new for me, lol)

Hhhmmm, I'm sure you tried powdered rooting hormone & sticking it in soil. Did it rot on you or is it just taking a very long time to root? Maybe it needs a plastic bag over it to keep the humidity high. If all else fails, I sometimes end up sticking it in a small glass or cup, with a drop of hydrogen peroxide and liquid rooting hormone. It's worth a try!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

MIne bloomed most of the summer, however it seemed to want to crawl on the ground instead of climbing the support I had for it. I haven't tried to root it yet, but am going to try overwinter.

I am wondering if the apricot smoothie does the same.

Shirley, I tried it in water, in an old aquarium(works for my passies) and they rotted. I haven't found any seeds either.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My salmon one was a poor pathetic excuse for a thunbergia. I got one plant out of a pkg of 10 from T & M. I finally put it in the ground and said "live or die." It how has covered two sections of fence on both my side and the neighbors. It has a trunk that you would not believe and is 3 years old. Dont give up on her. She may surprise you. Pretty flower. I may have to look for one-like I need another vine.

Should I put this one in the ground? It's in a basket because I ran out of room along the fence.

I had mine in the ground and it grew vigorously. You may have better results. Please let us know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.