Cup and Saucer

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here again mid november,still in bloom,very unusal Kansas weather,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Same weather here..really nice for November! Still have roses and hydrangeas blooming...among other things. I wish it would stay this way ALL winter!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Same here,but hard freeze expected tuesday nite down to the 20's at nite and 40's during the day!!!!Boo Hoo!!!

wolverhampton, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

We have had hard frosts for the last 3 nights temp -3c 27f. Yesterday I picked about 20 of my seed pods to bring indoors and hopefully try to ripen them. One pod had been caught by the frost and had softened. I will be very disappointed if I these pods do not ripen after having such a magnificent plant this year.

Sue

Thumbnail by alrac
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh how lucky can you get, our gardens are all frozen, I had such lovely lilies blooming now they are all mush

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Lucky you getting seed pods,had flowers all summer long,but no seed pods!!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! I'm definitely going to start some seeds again. I tried bringing the root in but it died. I guess it didn't like to be moved.
:) Donna

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow! I never got seedpods either! At least now I know what to look for! And Sue...I am wondering if yours is a different variety? Mine were white and purple...not blue?

Mine are purple its just the camera that makes them look more blue. The frost has continued and now killed all the growth so I have collected all the pods about 40 of them and cut down all the foliage, fingers crossed that seed pods ripen. I increased the number of pods by hand pollination.

Sue

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure would love some seeds of this plant.

Doris

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I have not had one seed pod on mine. Anyone have any idea why not?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know it was mentioned before on another thread about the cup & saucer that they thought it need to be pollinated by bats. Here is a url about this: http://www.dulley.com/plant/a031.shtml

About the pollination, the one insect that was always on my climber was the common yellow and black stripe wasp, so I think in my case the wasp was doing the pollination, but I went around my flowers with a clean paintbrush collecting pollen from one flower and painting it on another, making sure that the pollen was on the stigma and it worked 90% of the time. I have counted all my pods and I have 50 of them. I have laid them on newspaper in a wire tray and put them on a shelf near a window so that they will get some sun (when it appears) and at the same time they will get light and be free from frost.

If anyone has any better suggestions I will be glad to hear them as this is the first year I have had any pods.

Sue

Doris this is new territory for me, I will let you know if the pods ripen and then maybe we can sort something out about the seeds, I have not researched DG about sending seeds abroad.

Sue

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

alrac I have purchased seeds on ebay, I don't think there is a restriction, only on live plants.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks PerennialGirl, I will hand pollinate next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.