Turn, Turn, Turn

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Finally, starting to get some glorious color on my Japanese Maples.

Here is "Wu Nishiki"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

"Kasen Nishiki"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very beautiful Shirley,

Here's Maiku Jaku or Aconitifolium or the Dancing Peacock - wish that they had stuck with one name.

Doss

Thumbnail by doss

Beautiful! I love the colors and the shape of the leaves!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The "Kasen Nishiki" looks as if it's a pretty big tree. Is it?

Oops!!! It's appears that I switched the two images. "Kasen Nishiki" has the bright orange foliage and grows to about 15ft tall in the landscape. It will probably only grow 8-10 ft. in a container. "Wou Nishiki" has the bright red foliage. Sorry about that!!

Since the foliage just started to turn, it will still be a couple of weeks before the entire tree displays its autumn colors. Then, the colors will deepen and come more intense.

hurdle mills, NC

Here's an Emperor 1 with nice fall color. I was surprised when it changed to this shade of crimson, I guess is the color. Sort of a pinkish red.

Thumbnail by dellac
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty - I've never met an Emperor that I didn't like. :-)

Very pretty dellac! Like fine wine, it will get better and better with each passing year!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Nice J maples, Shirley. What is the fringe leaf maple called? There is probably more than one but what would be a good one for zone6? Can these be grown from seeds?
Teresa

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Most all japanese maples can be grown in zone 6 barring a disaterous winter or summer...so you have tons to choose from ...you're very lucky!!!
As far as seed YES you can grow from seeds but it is a process and they are not true to the mother tree...they might be better , worse , or the same...so if you like vegas You will like seeds... personally if i go to all the trouble to get a japanese maple I want a grafted named cultivar that I know and like how it will look!!!...unless you gots tons of acrerage and just want to play/ gamble... David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Another type of turning -
Spring foliage on a seedling maple.

Thumbnail by doss

Teresa,

Japanese Maples grow soooo slowly, it would be like watching a snail walk across the street! I would propagate them via softwood cuttings. Even then, it will take a while until you get a full grown specimen. That's why they cost so much $$$!

Beautiful Spring foliage, doss. Which variety are we looking at?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree about the speed - although some types like Sango Kaku and Bloodgood grow more quickly than others. If you are looking at growing from seeds, small seedlings can be had for very little money. This source sells them for $10.00 and you can choose several different types and colors. I would highly recommend you go this route rather than grow from seeds - but not necessarily with this company.
http://japanese-maple.com/green_leaf_seedlings1.html

Shirley, the tree you are looking at is a seedling maple. This photo is of the whole tree. It's a little hard to see but it has a beautiful multiple trunk. This tree is about 25 years old. As you see with seedlings, you don't always get what you think you will but as a hardy landscape plant there's not much better.

Thumbnail by doss

Thanks Doss. Yes, it is difficult to see the beautiful multiple trunk. Thanks for taking the lovely close-up of the leaves.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Better? This was taken at the end of February. This is the earliest maple in my garden.

Thumbnail by doss

Yes, thank you! It's much easier to see the lovely multiple trunk in your last picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.