Re: Strange time here for rebloomers

Allentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nov 12, 2005 in NJ, near Del River, Zone 7? This morning I went out to cut some "Sunny Disposition", have these in mass blooming, in spring and in the fall, though not usually this late in fall. Discovered an almost ready to bloom on "My Friend Jonathan", a mature bud on "Floor Show" that will open tomorrow in the house (we're getting frost here tonight) and a mature bud on "Juris Prudence" which rebloomed last year also!!!! I thought that "Juris.." was an anomally last year but maybe not??
"Immortality" has already rebloomed but now has very immature buds again that I'll probably lose with the frost.
This is always a thrill when it happens
Marian

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Sometimes these things happen...and it's always great when they do! I went out last week and found an SDB, 'Tickety Boo', blooming it's little head off. I've never known that one to even be a rebloomer!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I went out and looked up all of these flowers. You are very lucky to be having Juris Prudence blooming now - but we are lucky to have anything reblooming right now. I have some things that are almost in rebloom. It's going to be very warm for the next few days so we should have some in bloom.

Enjoy!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

doss~you're zone is great for rebloom. I'm guessing that pretty much any iris that's a rebloomer will do it in your zone.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is the good news about rebloomers......................... they can bloom at ANY time of the year. Some of my rebloomers I purposely keep in large pots - - close to the house/on the porch - - so even in winter they are able to rebloom. It is always a pleasant surprise when they do.

I haven't tried it but, I half-way think that if someone has a potted iris inside the home - - where it gets sunlight through a window, some occasionall "Bloom-Buster" fertilizer - - that it ought to rebloom too. Has anyone ever tried this?

~ Margie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Never tried growing iris inside. I bring them in the house and put them in vases and they do very well. I'll have to go look for some 'Bloom-Buster' fertilizer.

And I do think that my area is pretty ideal for rebloom. However, Matrix, Holy Night, and Lichen and Rosalie Figge all come from Nicholls. Since they are a northern garden, many of the things that they carry are more likely to bloom in colder climates.
http://www.nichollsgardens.com/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I think it might work with iris that are already used to having hardly any seasonal change. It might even work with colder climate irises, if you gave them some sort of "false" winter.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm going to try and do that with the SDB this winter - maybe ice on the roots like people do with Peonies.

It's funny, Margie. I was looking at Nicholl's site and I didn't realize that what bothered me most about the iris they carry is that almost all of them have narrow falls. So Interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.