First Year Wintering Over FlyTraps

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

This will be the 1st year I winter over my flytraps.

Even tho our daytime temps have been in the high 60's & nighttime temps in the 30's, they continue to produce new traps.

If lower temps are suddenly predicted (which they usually are), should I take measures to insulate these pots? I'm thinking bubble wrap (don't laugh).

The pots are probably a tad small to withstand repeated freeze/thaw cycles. I'd forget the bubble wrap and haul those into your garage and set them by a window. Add a little bit of water to the drip trays to wick up so they remian damp throughout their dormancy.

VA is a USDA hardiness zone of 6 or 7, right? They should be able to easily make it in the ground with a nice layer of mulch, they do by me and I'm a 5. This will be my 4th season that our VFTs have been coming back with nothing but white pine needled layered with oak leaves followed by another layer of white pine needles. I'm afraid your VFTs might not make it in pots above ground regardless of what you use to insulate them. Do you have any window wells that get light down in them? Both my girlfriend and I are going to be trying window wells this year for the first time and I would think this would be even more ideal for you if you are a 6/7.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - I do have basement window wells. Perhaps that would work best. The pots are 8" clay types & we're in a sort of mixed 6/7 zone due to our close proximity to the mountains.

I have several stands of White Pine here on the farm, so using the needles for mulch isn't a problem.

I am always driving around begging to scoop up white pine needles from people. I hit the same houses each year. At first they thought I was off my rocker but I guess they consented figuring if I picked it up and hauled it off... one less thing for their landscapers to bill them for. They are nice to me though and most have told me to come back any time and gather as much as my little heart desires. Lucky you that you have white pine needles by you. I broke down and planted 5 saplings last year. 3 are still alive. I planted them for the sole purpose of providing safe haven for birds and to be able to gather white pine needles.

Your window wells sound fine. Does light get to the bottom of them?

I don't particularly care for unglazed clay pots. Those can get too much water in them and split open when they freeze and aside from that, I soaked one in water once and the PPMs went through the ceiling on my hand held unit so that can't be good. I use plastic pots now after that eye opener. I think the water I used was reading at about 120 ppm and it went up to almost 1000ppm overnight after what ever was in the clay pot was drawn out by the water. I have no idea what made me check the water before and after but I did.

Is it best to wait for a significant frost period to have the plants drop into dormancy first, before bringing them inside in an overwintering hibernacula? I have my container bog that still seems to be thriving regardless of the low 30s nights we've been having lately. Next week ought to bring even more cold weather.

Joseph

"Is it best to wait for a significant frost period to have the plants drop into dormancy first, before bringing them inside in an overwintering hibernacula?" Correct to the best of my knowledge.

I haven't begun to bring any of my plants in yet. In subsequent years, I waited until snow was swirling before I brought them in. I'll do the same thing this year. So far so good.

Thank you, Equilibrium, knowledge equates to fewer dead plants this winter.

Umm, this is the way I do it. I wouldn't call it knowledge but more personal experience. Others bring them in earlier than me. I have always believed that the longer Ma Nature can have control, the better for the plants but then I'm only a zone 5. I have no idea what the people growing these plants in 4's and 3's do.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Okay - today/tonight it's in the 70's, but we're supposed to have thunderstorms all day tomorrow, & temps by tomorrow night are only supposed to be in the 20's!!!!!

Do the flytraps go into the window well tomorrow or will this sudden temp change be murder?

Ummm, mine are still outside and they're staying outside because every last one of them is in the ground! If you think the pots are capable of freezing solid and you are having new Mommie jitters... puuuuuuuuuuut them in the window well. You can always take them out again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.