hickory nuts?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure I have the right forum for this request? Does anyone know where I can purchase some hickory nuts? I didn't come up with much on google.

Are you serious? I've got the suckers all over my yard! What in the world do you want them for!

Old Lyme, CT(Zone 6a)

Ditto. We've got them all over the place. The squirrels can't even keep up with them. Ask around. They're pretty proliffic. Someone around you has got to have them growing in their yard.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow! Well I want them to make a hickory nut cake ! Do you have the shag bark hickory? Those are the edible ones.
Yes I know they grow around here..but don't seem to be plentiful in our particular area. My brother has a tree but said his are all gone.
My grandmother used to make this hickory nut cake..and I remember it was so good! I have her recipe..and would love to make one.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Marcy - http://www.rayshickorynuts.com/contact.html 21.00 a pound

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, hickory nut pie is great too-esp for me (allergic to pecans). Our local farmers market has a couple of vendors-but don't know if they will be at the winter market. The price quoted is a good one-esp. considering how wonderful they aren't to pick out!! :)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Found a local today..woohooo!!

Crossville, TN

Macy...please save me a piece of that cake...I haven't had one for sooooo long... Jo

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Jo...I would send you a pc if I could figure out how to do it safely?
P.S. Haven't got the nuts yet..let alone cracked and picked out!!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We have a shagbark hickory tree and tons of nuts, but I have yet to find one that doesn't have a worm hole in it! My MIL used to make hickory nut cake. I don't care for them, or the cake, but some people like them!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi kbaumie,
Yeah that seems to be the big problem with hickory nuts..worms...lol!!
I may not even get enough good ones to make a cake!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

The nuts are crazy prolific this year aren't they?! Lookin' to be a cold winter!

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Ray's Hickory Nuts - that's my father, and Dave's (from davesgarden) grandfather!
http://www.rayshickorynuts.com/index.html

This message was edited Nov 15, 2005 6:00 PM

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

"it's a small world after all..." lol

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Six degrees of separation? LOL.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci932596,00.html

Yep, it is a small world.

My dad is almost 86 and likes to be busy.
Thanks to the website one of my other sons (Dan) put up, he has trouble keep up with all his orders to fill.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

GrannyLois...
Thank you so much for posting this. I had checked out your father's website...and was just a little leery of it, since payment was expected up front. But since he is related to you and Dave...I wouldn't feel bad at all in ordering from him! And I'm sure the price is very justified, since I KNOW how much work is involved in cracking and picking hickory nuts out! Thanks again!

You're welcome, Marcy.
I hope your hickory nut cake is scrumptious!

If you get a chance, when you order online, tell my sister Linda, who takes the orders, hello!

Marcy, I talked to one of my sisters tonight, and told her about this thread. She mentioned that it takes my dad 6 hours to crack one pound of hickory nuts. I wanted to share that with you, as it puts the cost into perspective.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi GrannyLois! Yes, I believe that! I remember from my childhood, helping MY grandfather crack nuts..both walnuts and hickory nuts...and how much time it took.
I WILL be ordering..since the local nuts.. no pun intended..lol!...don't seem to be any good! Just haven't gotten around to it yet. So tell him to get busy!
Really...I think it is just great that he does this. Not many left that would take the time..I'm sure. Thanks much!

New insight: now I know why my family is so nutty .....
:-)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL! Think mine was too! And still is!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.