OK, where do I post gunnera manicata..Dinosaur Food question

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I brought my dinosaur food in my breezeway for the winter and the leaves are getting black like they may be molding...any way to find out how to keep this through the winter?...Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

i do not have one but I believe they need moisture at all times (they like to grow in bogs). You must have a VERY large breezeway!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine isnt that big yet so I will water the heck out of it....I buy things even if I cant handle the size...lolol...you wouldnt believe what I have in the breezeway...Judy

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Judy, I live in central PA--I believe zone 5--I planted my dinosaur food plant outside in a shady spot where it is usually wet--A couple of years ago my tulip tree fell--now the dino food is in full sun and still spreading all over the place. If you need more just let me know--I got lots. ~~Sandy~~

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

juttz, I would think in 5z you would have to bring the gunnera in, it will lose the leaves now but in the spring they'll come back, I wouln't water in dormant conditions. I live in 8z, I use the leaves as a mulch on the crown over winter when they die back. good luck, hostajim1

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Hostajim, how much water do you think I should give it in the house?Im trying to keep the area pretty low in temps but it seems to get up in the 60s anyway with the furnace in a small area..pretty high humidity too....this will be my learning year with this plant...Judy

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Hugeposiepatch you keep yours ourtside all year? I dont have one yet (if your offer is open I would love some, even a little babie), but if these can be kept outside then it opens up alot of possibilities, mainly because I havent read up on these past drooling about them.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I believe these are only hardy to zone 7 or 8. That is the only thing that has kept me from buying it so far. LOL I am wondering if you have chinese rhubarb or something similar Sandy? I am trying to think of what else goes by that common name. If you have something with huge leaves that can stay outside, I might be interested too! :) Oh, maybe you have petasites?!?!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

juttz, don't water since it's going dormant. when you see new tip growth in the spring start watering again bring out after last freeze. lol

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

You are right Badseed. I have the Pestasites. I got it from Wayside Gardens and it was called dinosaur food. Sorry, I have the wrong plant. ~~Sandy~~

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Can somebody send me a picture of the Pestasites?..I cant find one on the web....Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Petasites japonica giant colts foot

Thumbnail by levilyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Very sorry..I posted garlic mustard...wait...

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

ROFLMAO

edited to say, please dont take my laugh the wrong way, it just struck me funny because posting the wrong pic is something I would do.
I guess I still need to buy my dinosaur food, thanks much.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2005 9:32 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Found it.....

Thumbnail by levilyla
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

No worries Sandy. People do call Petasites 'dinosaur food'. You find that name on several plants with huge leaves. I have Petasites as well. I had the varie one but it didn't survive. I'd love to get that again! I hear there is a nice Gunnera in a box headed my way. hee hee hee! Somebody DOES love me! Now I need to find some more Chinese rhubarb. I had two types and they bit the dust. I hear the smaller ones are hard to get through the first winter. I'd like to try again and maybe greenhouse or protect them the first year or two. I sure have a thing for big leaves. :)

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Juttz, are you looking for petasites? I'd be happy to bring some for ya....
i have variegated ones..... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.