Questions about Weeping Cherry Trees?

Kinston, NC(Zone 7b)

I have always loved the Weeping Cherry Tree, but I have heard that they have a short life span, and are very susceptible to disease.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if they are slow growers?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I haave had a white weeping cherry tree for 10 years and since in the beginning I planted it too close to the path , have had to prune it back to keep out of traffic pattern.One limb on the southeast side did have a problem a couple of years ago and had to be cut back severely. The tree still looks pretty good when in bloom. Not sure that this is of any help to you.

I think the health and growth of the tree also depends on the area where grown. Your climate and mine are quite different. I live in the dry area of WA, very low humidity. Mine has been reasonably fast in growth. The trunk is now about 8" in diameter near ground, and the tree where the branches start to weep is at about my head level. If I can find my photo of it I will post.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry the only photo i could find is one I took last spring of the blooms along the trunk of the white weeping cherry. I just took a couple more photos, as soon as I find time i will send one along of the tree in fall foliage.

DonnaS

Kinston, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you so much for all your input. Our climates are quite different. we have very high humidity, and I'm not sure if that will affect the growth rate and the trees ability to ward off disease.

There a few Weeping Cherry Trees in my area, and all of them started to die or develope problems after about 10 years or so. I hope it is just lack of care rather than a problem with the tree growing in my area.

I would love to plant one in my garden, but I don't won't it to die after 10 years of being there.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

cheath, I don't blame you for not wanting a tree you have had for 10 or so years to die. So far mine is doing pretty good. here is the photo I took this morning of it in fall foliage.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Kinston, NC(Zone 7b)

Your cherry tree weeps nicely!! I am still undecided about getting one. If I knew it would live, even if it was hard to keep pest free. I would plant one anyway just because I love the tree so much.

Oh well I will just keep trying to research this tree for my area. I wish you lived in my zone, then I wouldn't have to look any further. I would definitely get one come spring.

Thanks again for all your help, it is GREATLY appreciated.

Christina H

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Listen to your head, instead of your heart:

"There a few weeping cherry trees in my area, and all of them started to die or develope problems after about 10 years or so."

The Prunus in general, except for a few like P. serotina, are notorious as heartbreakers in humid climates. They are drop-dead gorgeous (at least in bloom) for a few years, then, just when they have you hooked, they're gone.

Find something better for your yard -- something sure and steady that will be there for you when you need it; something that gives you more than a pretty face; something you can grow old with!

Guy S.

Kinston, NC(Zone 7b)

What you say is so true. On many levels...

I feel a little shaky in the bottom of my gut every time I think about planting one, even though I "LOVE" them so much. I will probably just put a nice picture of one on my desktop and leave it at that.

Thanks so much for your input, it's very helpful.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

cheath, if you really want one, you need to specifically search for Prunus subhirtella var. pendula. This is an ungrafted tree (on its own rootstock). Michael Dirr says:

"Cherries are often described as short-lived and many fit that tenet; however, the P. subhirtella types are among the most cold, heat, and stress tolerant of the group. Once established, they are long-lived, and offer the garden a sublime quality unavailable from other ornamental trees".

There are grafted species that are slow-growing, but this one should fit the bill for what you want. Hope this helps.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Cheath, I'm also in Zone 7 and have several cherry trees that have lasted for many years. My weeping cherry is not a grafted tree and is over 25 years old. It has never suffered disease or any viral problems. In fact, it is a VERY hardy tree. And I live in "orchard country" here, which creates more susceptability with some fruit trees.

The weeping cherry tree is taller than our home now and the trunk is about 12-inches across. We must trim branches every year now and we also have to trim the lowest ground-touching branches as well. We refer to this as a 'hair cut'.

The weeping cherry tree has endured our 3 boys as they grew up with that tree. The tree has been used as a fort, and a gymnasium of sorts as they climbed the upper branches or hid in the tent-like lower portion. Now that they're all grown and have moved away, a very large shade garden was added. Next year, the garden area will be increased. I love the gracefulness and the effect that it brings to our front area. A weeping hemlock was planted about 10 feet away from it (18 years ago), and the two complement one another beautifully. As the shade garden increases, the overall plan is to incorporate the hemlock as one large sweeping garden that will be similar to the large sweeping garden close by that has 2 Yoshino cherry trees and a plum tree.

Hope this helps you with your decision. I'm including a few landscape photos that give you an idea of our cherry trees in bloom. The first photo shows the weeping cherry behind the hemlock (on the right), with the other cherry trees in blossom.

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

One of the Yoshino's is on the left and the weeping cherry is further back, to the right.

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

cheath, after looking at LynnCanGrowIt's photos, if you're looking for a fast growing Cherry, definitely consider the Yoshino. It's the fastest growing tree we have in our landscape and is absolutely beautiful in the spring. This is the same Cherry that surrounds the tidal basin in Washington, DC - undoubtedly you've seen the pictures of them blooming in the spring? You'll have a specimen size tree in just a handful of years, albeit it won't be weeping, but gorgeous in its own right.

Kinston, NC(Zone 7b)

OMG your cherry trees are BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to have a grove of cherry trees look like that. I just might plant a few this spring if I can find some on its own rootstock.

Thank you LynnCanGrowit, and rcn48 for all your useful information, and pictures.

Christina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.