Help with Windows XP

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I was hoping I could get some help here before I pull my hair out :-)

I just set up our new computer at work and the OS is Windows XP Pro w/servc. pack 2. I'm used to 98SE and ME and am having a little problem with this. I've installed the same virus program we had before, which is Norton Internet Security Prof. 2004.

Here's the problem: When we try to access our local news websites, it locks up our internet connection. I called our ISP the first time it happened, thinking the DSL service might be down. They walked me thru downloading Mozilla (thru the dos screen) because they thought we might have picked up some spyware but that didn't work either. When I restarted the computer everything worked fine, IE & Mozilla. It was the next day that I discovered exactly what was locking it up (the news sites). When it does this, you have to completely restart the system, the tech @ our ISP said it showed that we were online, that's why he was thinking spyware. I've reset the IE security to Med-Low and allowed all sites on the Norton program but it still does the same thing. I was wondering if it might be an XP thing and I just don't know how to set something to solve the problem. Also, we noticed this morning that it won't let us log in on the American Greetings site (you can tell how much real work we do), we can access the site, but when we try to log in, we get a "Page can not be displayed, can not find server..." error.

Can anyone out there help us so we can go back to making cards and reading the news, LOL.....thank goodness I'm not having any problems getting on here, what would I do with my day!!

Thanks much,
Vicki

I forgot to add that when we try to use Mozilla to access the news or american greetings login, here's the message we get:
"The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.americangreeting.com."

This message was edited Nov 10, 2005 10:45 AM

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!