Green Tree Frog,

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

He has been busy eating bugs on my Hyacinth Bean plants.

Thumbnail by trois
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Fatanstic shot!!!
I love the lil frogs..I get them in my bromeliads all the time.

MsC

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Lottie. We like them too. We have had trouble with Owls eating the ones that gather around the lights at night. Not lately though.

trois

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

He is adorable . I just love frogs. Thanks Trois for sharing the picture.
Patti

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

You're welcome.

trois

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Do frog eggs transport (in the spring) very well??? :)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I have never seen any of this type. We do have a lot of toad eggs in every container. I must research the tree frogs reproductive methods.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

How long are these pretty boogers?
Sidney

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Mostly up to about 2.5 inches. Sometimes a little bigger. The one in the picture is no more than 2 inches.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Please let us know what you find out about them.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

So far, nothing. I have been remiss.

trois

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What's their proper name?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

George? Actually, it is Kermit, from Sesamie? Street.
After looking it up, I have decided I have seen many of their young in our Lily Pond. Just didn't know what they were. The one in the picture must be color blind because he is hiding on purple, not green.
The Green Tree Frog is the State Frog of Louisana.
trois

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ooooooops *Ü* Thought it might have a more specific name. We have White's Green Tree Frogs for sale here $50 CDN (for one).

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

How many trois's green tree frogs you want, at $45 per.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOL Y'all could certainly make a fortune there Trois! ;)

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I'll trade Troi some gray treefrog tadpoles for some of his green!
MerryMary

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

You should already have some there. I have never seen the gray frogs. Can you post a picture? Thanks

trois

Yes, we should have green treefrogs in this area Trois...the problem is with the development and the cuban/brazilian tree frogs (they eat anything in sight and have depeleted many of the smaller frog populations) taking over, they are very hard to find anymore. I've been successful with many tadpoles in my little koi pond, but so far mostly toads and gray treefrogs. Would love to reintroduce some greens back to this area. Let me see if I can get a pic for you of the gray.
MerryMary

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Not much on the camo there is he? lol

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, at least he held perfectly still.

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/frogs/hyla_chrysoscelis.htm

Trois, I didn't want to use someone elses picture without permission, and couldn't get a good one of my own, of the gray tree frogs we have here in Florida.
Lucky you, you also get to hear him on this site, if you want to.
:)
MerryMary

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you very much. We really enjoy the ones that live here.

Last spring, my youngest son, (44) is a pretty good mimic. There was a green tree frog really going at it in some bushes nearby. He leaned over and repeated the sounds back to the frog. The second time, the frog leaped up and latched on to his mouth, holding on tight to the upper and lower lip. It didn't want to let go. My son wasn't hurt, but wondered just what had happened, was he a lover or a rival? He still wonders.

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Wish you'd had your camera ready for THAT! - Julie

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Me too. I see all kinds of things when I don't have the camera, but even when I do, lots of things happen too fast.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Great shot Trois! I haven't seen a native tree frog in months, maybe once in over a year. I miss them. The Cuban TFs eat everything in sight, sometimes each other...yuck!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry about that. I sure hope the Cuban frogs don't migrate to here.

There are many yet. A favorite food for Owls at night around porch lights.
trois

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.