How to winter over lace cap cuttings?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just found out that I'm the lucky recipient of some lace cap cuttings. I'm in zone 5, so I don't want to put them outside now. What would be the best way to treat these until I can plant them outside next spring?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Kylee...you might want to post this one in Propagation. They've been really helpful with shrub cutting questions I had.

~julie~

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

K: Our radio gardening fellow lives in zone 5, upstate NY. He overwinters cuttings in his cold frame.

I took cuttings and was given a very generous selections of newly rooted plants that are in our basement, under lights. The cuttings are tented with plastic NEVER TOUCHING the green leaves and I tried keeping the leaves from even touching each other. That was mentioned on a clematis site - the leaves should never touch anything. I felt I couldn't lose by being ultra careful.

Please post as to whether you did receive more help at the Propagation forum. Today is the ideal fall day and I really want to be outside. Thanks so much!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I potted them up and they're in my garage at the moment, but I'll be moving them to one of the spare bedrooms once we get that painted this week. We keep the heat really low in there, and they'll get some light, too.

I posted in a thread that was asking almost the same thing, and got some suggestions. I might return to this one now and then, though, when I have specific questions about my situation.

Thanks, pirl!

From what I've read they DO NOT want any sun: only light - north windows I'm sure.

Good luck!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I can put them where they won't get sun, only light. We don't use that room at all, except when Jenna comes home, which isn't often. When she comes, I can move them to the basement. Well, maybe the basement would be a good place for all winter? It's about 60° down there.

I'm just guessing the cooler the better.

I never got back to ask the gardening guy about how he does his cuttings. Maybe he only does layering. I'll be around his place tomorrow and stop in if it's not pouring rain.

I'll let you know if I find out any good tips and I will ask him where they'd be happier for you.

kbaumble - how did the cuttings do?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just now saw this! Of the cuttings I received, one has lived and is doing well. It's still small and hasn't bloomed yet, but maybe it will this summer!

It's probably better off spending time making a good root system before it blooms.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.