Jarrahdale Squash

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

How the devil do ya'll peel these suckers???

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have not tried this one specifically, But most of the hard shell winter squash, you split open with a an axe or machete, remove the seeds, bake on the half shell, and scrape out the baked flesh and then use the cooked squash in whatever recipe you like. You can also chop them into smaller pieces and boil until done, but I prefer the baked taste.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

you might try putting a few holes into it using a fork or one of those bbq tools with the two sharp prongs and then put it in the ovedn for a bit until it softens enough to cut with a sharp kife. i am able to cut through butter nut squash using a serrated knife. is ou squash harder than that?

Whitney Point, NY(Zone 4b)

I use my big chef's knife and a rubber mallet. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and stringy stuff, wrap in foil and bake.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have a fabulous recipe (Squash and Black Bean Stew, with Tomatoes and Greens), but it requires chunks. I have been patiently cutting it in ahlf, then slicing it on the ribs and peeling it. It is quite a project! Guess I'll try to par-bake it a bit to see if that will loosen the skin. I do like to slice it and eat it raw, too, with hummus, dips, etc., si I don't want it baked much.

Thanks for the tips!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.