Help me in keeping this alive over winter.Need advice please

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Hello friends;)
My G'ma just passed away and she has some peonoie's in her garden my wife wants. Well we have to dig them up now as the house is being sold. Everything around here has gone dormant for the season so I'm not sure how to go about this.
Do any of you have any advice for me on this dilemma? I think I'll be digging up a rootball with the dead stems being all that's left above ground. Should I pot it up and store it indoors over winter or do you think it could survive going from hole to hole outdoor's? I don't know squat about peonie's so please excuse my ignorance on this subject.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, JD

Corte Madera, CA

JD, sorry to hear about your loss. I hope someone in your zone sees this thread.

I know peonies love the winter chill to bloom in spring/summer. There is definitely digging in your future.

What a wonderful legacy your g'ma left behind.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm awaiting shipment of a fern leaf peony, and it will go in the ground as soon as it gets here. I'm in a colder zone than you, so I think you'll be fine to dig it now.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Your fine to dig and transfer now. Take some dirt with you, it makes them happy not to go from one ph to another. Peonies are hardy, I left one out in a pot all winter by accident and it came back in the spring.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

dig em up and plant em now! Just be sure the eyes are the right depth for your area ( In my area it is about 2 inches below the soil surface)
They should be fine. Try to have at least 3 eyes in each piece - the more the better. And cut off all the 'dead stalks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.