Identify

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

My Stargazer had 3 pods on the stems - to my surprise, they cracked and looked like seeds.

Is this a pod?
Are these Lillium seeds?
Some are flaky, some hard.

Little education on this please. Thanks

Thumbnail by rose_mallow
Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

This is a picture of the Stargazer (very very fragrant)

Thumbnail by rose_mallow

Yes, a seed pod. Yes, some seeds. Are you going to plant them? Go for it!

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

My problem is I don't know exactly if they're all seeds - I was thinking maybe the hard ones are the seeds (duh)???? if that's the case it didn't get me much - but I'm quite content. Any tips on how to keep it safe until I pot it. When and how to pot it? Thanks

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi rose-mallow:

You can separate the viable seeds from the chaff by backlighting them. Good seeds will have a "line" in them (aka the embryo). Empty windows are chaff to be discarded. Oriental lily seeds are a little tricky to germinate: they need a warm period (3 months), then a cold period (2-3 months at 34-40 deg); then warm again. It is not unusual to get just a few good seeds from a pod unless you handpollinate them during bloom time. Even then I get maybe 50% good seed from the pod!

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Pardalinum, but, maybe I should put them now inside in a warm place - than move them in the garage in March, then outside in May - what do you think? Thanks - if you want I can send you 2 seeds - if you think that will do something.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

The way I do it is I plant them in a slightly dampened "soilless" seed starting mix (this is usually just very finely milled peatmoss and perlite in a plastic sandwich bag (zip-lock works best). I cut a couple of notches in the bottom for drainage and a couple more near the top for air circulation. I plant the seeds about 1/2 in. deep. If you do this now you would move them to your cool garage in mid-February, then outside anywhere from mid April to mid-May. I keep mine in the baggies for their first summer because they look too much like a grassy weed. Then I plant them out in a "nursery bed" bed in the fall to grow them bigger prior to moving them into the regular garden areas.

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much. I will do exactly what you did - I will keep you posted. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.