Is there something I can plant now to improve soil?

Jamison, PA(Zone 6a)

We made raised vegetable beds this summer with existing soil, compost and organic manure. We grew green vegetables and tomatoes and were pleased with the harvest. But I think that soil is still clay and needs improvement. I am thinking about growing something in winter time that could help. What would you recommend?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi,

You might check the thread on the worst clay soil on earth: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/499950/
Check YardenMan’s comments on daikon radishes. Not sure if it's too late the plant them though.

Hope this helps,

Maureen ☺

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Why change feed on a winning horse? I'd keep on doin what yr doin.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

GardenBaby...it might be a bit too late to plant cover crops/green manure crops in your beds now. Had it been earlier I would suggest clover or rye or oats or hairy vetch to overwinter in your beds, then turn under before planting time in the late Winter or Early Spring.

Right now though you could still add some loose amendments, like all those Fall leaves that are laying around all over the place! Smother the bed with those and they'll not only insulate the bed thru the winter months but will also encourage good bacterial life and earthworms. I'd be tempted to fork some of the leaves into the soil, then pile more on top. It'll reduce in size by planting time.

By the way...a Hearty "WELCOME TO DG!" Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.