Let the digging begin

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I started the digging process today and I rather dread it. But I see lots of tubers, more than I ever will want. I am glad I got some out as I had to mud them out, they surely would have rotted if I would have left them there. Ted's Choice one of my favs was in boo coo mud. Poochella, the flat land has great disadvantages. Rolling ground at least drains like some of mine doesn't.

I have decided to cull several varieties like Hee Haugh, Duet, September Morn, Winter Ice, Stella, Reddy etc. I am sure as I continue digging there will be more.

My dahlia imperialis definitely had buds but last night with our frost there it goes. It looks like the first two thirds of the stalks/leaves are black but the remainder looks green yet where the buds are. I wonder???

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, gee, Joann, I was hoping to help you!!!
I am back up here in Bellingham, WA, but will be coming back on Sunday, the 13th. So if you want me to stop by and help on my way home, I can. I would be more than happy to help you. Just let me know please. I owe you!
So you had frost last nite, huh? Oh dear, wonder what my dahlias will look like when I get back.
Later, Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, I usually take Sunday as a literal day of rest even though this time of year it is much easier all around.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Joann and Carol: Yes it has been a soggy, sodden Northwest kind of November. We are over 8 inches of wet in 9 days now.

Joann you're right about hillside living, but oh what I wouldn't give for some flatter land too. You can always improve drainage with adding sand or amendments, unless it's the big rain; the big ugly 4 months of rain LOL. Joann I wanted so badly to see your dahlia imperialis! Too tall to protect with any kind of cloth. How about a space heater properly placed like the Florida orange groves? I'm serious! I would be crushed to grow the lovely all summer and have it freeze; that's just a shame it froze partially even.

Carol I hope your dad continues to improve. Don't bother stopping by here: the big bed is dead! Oh my, so desolate looking.
Picture is this summer, link is last year which is what it looks like now except for the snow!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/SnowyGarden214.jpg

Thumbnail by Poochella
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, it is gone for sure today, last night the frost was even harder.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Joann, I dug all mine today. We had 18 degrees this morning so they were happy to be rescued. I rinsed them and have them sitting in shallow cardboard boxes to dry a little. Some of them were huge, some not very big but they lived, and I had some no-shows. I thought of you whenever I looked at those pretty flowers in bloom, thanks again. Why are you culling more of yours?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

There are just varieties that aren't that spectacular when you compare to some of the other beauties. Just not worth the work are some of the varieties. I am getting tired and more tired.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Ah yes, I see your point. You only have so much time and energy.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

So Joann, do you think mine will rot if I leave them in the ground? We have had soooo much rain already that I'm thinkin they will. I just dread the digging up part now. But I guess if I do it now there will be less to do in the spring right? lol The stalks on mine are still very green....most of the buds are black though. Is it ok to go ahead and dig them?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Another question and I know these kinds of questions have been asked so many times already, but I don't feel like searching right now. If I go ahead and dig them now can I just leave the tubers in tact and store them in wood shavings in the garage? I don't have the time or the energy for the plastic wrap method and I really don't want to divide them now.....I would rather divide in the spring.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I knew mine or some of mine would rot, Mendy, because the ground where they were at was very soggy and there was just no way they would come through that muck. If your ground is well drained you can leave them in place but so it is up to you. You don't have to divide till spring ; I do in the fall because they take less room. Yes, it is a huge chore.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Lenjo,

So sorry to hear about your D. imperialis. Lost mine to snow last year and I know the feeling well. We're in for some cold temps tonight and I'm not tenting but I did salvage two old smudge pots from a defunct citrus grove last year and am following Poochella's advice if the temp alarms go off. These things are interesting, they burn a type of encapsulated coal that kind of looks like really big dog kibble...lol. This zone denial stuff can get pretty wierd...lol.

best to all,
don

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, Don, there is always next year, I will dig it, split it hopefully with another start or two, repot it and let it rest a bit. Then maybe I will try to get it growing even earlier. I will move into a spare bedroom if I have to so it can get some heat early. Just have to keep trying to get a bloom. That is my way of zone denial.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

lol, I like your ideas better than mine. I've come to believe that for some (me included) getting that extra week or two out of our plants cannot be devalued...lol. I've enjoyed your photos all season long and have truly learned so much from you kind folks here. I'm inspired Lenjo that you're as insane as anyone when it comes to these flowers....lol.

The very best to you as you muck out your remaining tubers.
don

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Insane, me, never, lol, it's genetic. Dad and Mom both loved growing things. It's their fault and to top it off I married a farmer. I better keep my mouth shut or my fingers still as I am just hanging myself. LOL

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's ok, Joann, it's a very nice form of insanity.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Tis it is at that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.