thinking about electrical [gray] PVC conduit for roof

Taylorsville, NC

i have to build a greenhouse with what i have and i have enough PT wood to build a 12'wide by 36' greenhouse. was going to use the gray PVC electrical conduit for the arched roof. It is not optimal but low cost to get me started. and being made for outdoors it shoul last 5 years, i think, i hope.

Thoughts and comments please

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

We used PVC in ours, here are some photos

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

never mind that arrow - it was for another forum to show my brugs. Here's another showing the inside

Here it is today, covered with plastic.

Taylorsville, NC

went shopping at lowes and home depot and priced things out and called the fence company. I had planned to do the hoop house thing by bending my own chain link fence top rails. they come 21 feet long and 1.315 or 1.625 inches in diameter and at a cost of $ 0.58 and $ 0.72 per foot respectively. I have a bender i built to do the job. these prices are down about $ 0.20 /foot over last year. so in terms of top rail i can build a 26" wide house [ two 21' pieces per bow] 96' long foir a frame cost of $1000. then the cover and fans and those total a thousand dollars each. ok too much mone back to the 12 ' x 36' a er 60' and a salvaged fand and a new intake shutter with a motor,

mark

Taylorsville, NC

Well made up my mind last night and it will be 12' x 60' with 3/4" PVC gray electrical conduit on top. 14 year old son thinks it is a good project and wants in on it.

will post photos in future.

Mark

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Kewl! We'll be waiting for them :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mark,
Good luck!
12' X 60' is quite a project.
I think the pvc conduit is a choice over toprail.
I worked chain link for years and weight is another factor in there.
The PVC conduit is flyweight in comparison.
Did you price metal electrical conduit?

Ric

Taylorsville, NC

henryr10
yes i always price EMT [light weight metal conduit, electrical] it is about $ 5.39 for the 3/4" snf 2.44 for the 1/2" prices 32 years ago were 2.11 and 1.41 respectively. i use both for my vertical growing systems and it was cheap and strong

a bit of a project but should have it framed by dec 10 or sooner

mark

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ouch!
I didn't realize it was rivaling toprail in cost these days.
I get what little I use free so haven't kept up w/ the prices.

Good Luck!
Ric

Taylorsville, NC

clamps arrived today, wow that was fast, thanks to jaderloom/
played lowes against home depot and got an additional 10% off the conduit so saved there too.

mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.