What's still blooming for y'all?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Can an upper midwestern person say y'all? LOL. Well, anyway, the thread in the other forum was started several weeks ago, and is for any zone, but I'm wondering what you guys still have in bloom now that it's the second week of November? I've got a few things still going.

The toad lily is wrapping things up. I've got a zinnia in bloom and another one that might make it open in the next few days. My vinca vine has a few purple flowers on it. The malva is still blooming. Double-file viburnum is blooming, as is the persicaria. I've got a carnation that's got two buds on it, that should be opening up in the next week. The pentas are still going. My oxalis is, too. The feverfew has a few on it and so do the black-eyed susans. The lavender and catmint have a few blooms. I have lamium that is blooming like crazy! My tiarella has pretty pale pink flowers on it. The false forget-me-not is in full bloom - so pretty! Some tall sedum is blooming pretty well, too. Oh, and the gloriosa daisies! The mexican hat just got done a couple of days ago. My tomatoes that I grew in a large clay pot on the front porch (west and south sun) are still blossoming. I almost forgot the gaillardia and the gazanias! And the mums of course!

That's it! That's a LOT!! The exceptionally warm weather has just kept everything going later than normal this fall. I love it!

This message was edited Nov 7, 2005 9:54 PM

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The zinnia:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The oxalis:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

okay, I love the picture. I now know exactly what I am going to do with the little house over the well to help it blend in. I am going to turn it into a gnome home.

A thatch roof and all.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture taken earlier this year of the entire setting. We lost half of a huge oak tree, and what was left was really ugly, so I got one of my 'ideas.' (My DH just rolls his eyes when I say I have an idea. LOL) Of course, that stuff is all huge now. You can't see any of the retaining rocks and the ivy is growing up the tree and around the front. The veronica is spilling out over the sides.

You have to post pictures of your plan when you get it done, CARAT!

This message was edited Nov 7, 2005 9:59 PM

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Very cute, Kylee.

I have roses, mums, rhododendren, moss roses, and possibly daylilies (I didn't look today; I'll check tomorrow.)

Jody

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kylee,

Cute setting. I still have a mini Rose blooming, Lamium, Feverfew, Monkshood, Mums and a couple of Hostas. Oh, almost forgot I have a Daylily that has a couple of buds on it.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I couldn't leave it like this........... LOL

Thumbnail by kbaumle
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

kbaumle, sure like what you did with the remains!

As for my gardens, still have petunia, daylily (Paperbutterfly), gaillardia, toad lily, garden pinks, snapdragons, strawberry gomphrena, mums, and 4 iris (Witch of Endor, Navajo Jewel, Summer Olympics, and Barndance) blooming at this time.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

UM, that used to be a pretty big tree. Storm?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

julie lets out a squeal of positive DELIGHT!

Kylee! I LOVE what you did with that tree! AND Casey! YOU gave me an idea of how to fix up a 'treatment' for that sucky old septic tank cover that "code" says I'm *required* to leave standing 12" above the ground right in the middle (well, not *exactly* in the "middle" but it's still too obvious!) of my yard! A GNOME VILLAGE!! Thatched roofs, bark siding...little window boxes, tiny containers and baby trees! AND it will give me a reason to go *shopping!* TY TY TY!!!

Kylee...that first picture really caught my attention. Beautifully done!

The idea of what's still blooming, well...I noticed that the volunteer petunias are now climbing up my clematis trellis on the south side of my garage, there are two Tree mallows that didn't germinate in the WS containers so I threw the soil in that same bed and they are blooming. There are few Phlox flowers open on the nearly dead stems. The marigolds are *still* alive and kicking...and if I look closely enough, I'm sure I could find a few Johnny-Jump-Ups in among the last of the lavender Chrysanthemums. (Last year I had the JJU's blooming in December...they looked SO cool along with the ornamental Kale (Nagoya Red (but it's really purple...and tastes SO good. hehehe)

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, we lost TWO trees to storms last summer. That large oak just broke our heart to lose half of that, but we sort of knew it would happen someday. It's had a split trunk its whole life and last summer, we could actually hear it creaking, so we knew a strong wind was probably going to do some damage someday. My mom thinks we should have the rest of it cut down before it falls, but it's leaning toward the west, and that's where the winds generally come from, so we'll let it stand. The half that's left is still alive and if it does go down, nothing except our split rail fence and a couple of smaller trees is in danger of being hit. Here are some more pictures of the damage:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We lost a nice-sized maple in the front yard due to a storm, too. Different storm, which hit just a week after the first one. We were beginning to think we were going to end up treeless by the end of the summer!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh Kylee...my heart would have broken too. I just hate to see the damage after storms. But it's something we all have to deal with. It's harden for me to see people cut down big trees just because they don't want them...and here I sit wishing I had ANYTHING that would lose it's leaves in the fall.

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The first thing that came to mind when the large oak went was back when we bought this house in 1977, one of the things my DH loved was the big trees. And I remember my mom said to him, "Don't buy this property because of the trees, because something could happen to those." 27 years later...

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kylee,

AW, what a sight, and we know pics don't show the true magnitude.

I have 2 old trees in the front that I pray will make it through every storm,,,they're where the hosta beds are. And if they went, one would land in my bedroom! No Please Lord.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm sitting next to a window on the north side of my house. It's lined with pine trees that are probably 40-50 feet tall...about 15 feet away from the house. When the wind blows I wonder how many *more* years they'll continue to stand. (AND...is my house insurance PAID? LOL)

I think the reason I love trees so much is that when I was going up in Oklahoma, my father cut down *every* tree he could find. He had something about them cutting off his view of the sky, or something. Now when we *have* to cut a tree down, I think about how happy THAT would have made him. :-) Then I cry. :-(

~julie~

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

kbaumle I love what you did with the broken 1/2 of that tree! Thats cool!
Here is our "re-cycled" Redbud tree, I've since planted another along the south facing fence. Jill

Splish-Splash!

Thumbnail by momof2d
south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Kylie-just love the oak garden, love tucking in those hidden gardens.
Julie-gnomes like little huts withh moss and ferns and pebbles and if you can get some pieces of bark....
Jill-looks like he is having a great time-they just love their baths.
Local house had to cut off the end of a lower branch. Instead of cutting it off at the trunk, they left about 10 feet and put a row of differently decorated birdhouses on it. Clever use, especially to brighten up area on busy road.

MY toad lilies are still going and also the last of the peacock orchids-need to check the lamium to see if some have gone into rebloom!
Had a couple of violets sneak in. A couple of snapdragons and the end of the petunias are about it. Had some beautiful coleus, that got hit before I got to take cuttings; didn't know they were that sensitive :(
Have everything else cut back and ready to be put to bed.
Then to start my daylily seeds :). Will start a lot outside-have extra-so may as well try it..XXXX fingers crossed.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Jill, what a great idea! What I have seen done is someone carved a group of mushrooms out of the trunk. That was really neat.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

My garden is ready for bed too, but I put the tall sedum and the sea lavender I put in containers on the front step. This is the first time I've seen my Miscanthus 'Gracillimus' and 'Variegatus' have the fluffy seed heads, I guess it's been a nice long season with lots of heat in the summer.

You guys are so creative with your tree recycling ideas!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sandy,

Take Care of our trades now. mwahaha

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Took this pic today of my Alpine Strawberries,,,still blooming

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

those are pretty!!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kylee,

Thanks,,,they were put in last year, came up in Spring and they have done really well this year. They put out runners like regular Strawberry plants and the have runners All over the bed they're in. But thet are so pretty when they're blooming.

Kelly

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Most of my roses are still blooming and a John Clayton Honeysuckle thinks it's spring.:-)*

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jody,

Bet they're beautiful. Do you grow a lot of Roses?

Kelly

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Kelly,
I had 3 roses last year 2 Tropicana's and a Queen Elizabeth.Now I have 36 others.:-) My favorites are the older roses that you don't have to baby to much.I doubt if I'll ever buy another hybrid tea unless it's an old one from the 1800 or early 1900's.I went a little crazy this spring,summer and fall.lol.Plus I've been propaging cuttings so several of the one's I have now are babies from cuttings.
This rose blooms for me almost all the time it's a David Austin English rose called Christopher Marlowe.I just love it,plus it's very fragrant.

Thumbnail by JodyC
Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi All!!

Here is my favorite that is blooming right now....My green Mum....I have had it for about 2 years now.....I took a few other pic's today, but didn't load them yet....

Thumbnail by LucyGoose
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Very pretty!!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooooh, I love green flowers!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

kbaumle - so sorry to read about your trees. We've had to take a few down over the years because they were too close together on our suburban lot, but for years, we went around each spring and measured the circumferance of each tree to see how much it had grown. Each one was special to us.

Not much blooming in my yard now. Some nice yellow mums are still presentable and some blue Salvia and the tall sedum. I would have had some snapdragons, I think, but I sacrificed a number of plants which would have kept blooming when we were spreading all that dirt around.

Supposed to be fairly pleasant tomorrow. I'll try to get a couple of pics of what is still blooming.

Ann

ps kbaumle it IS you who suffered the broken camera isn't it? There is a large photo supply in Canada - Henry's. You probably have similar businesses in the US. Today, my husband found a refurbished Canon A80 (like the one he lost) on the web site and ordered it. It or a similar company might be a possible option for replacing your camera.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2005 11:31 PM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, my camera is the one that suffered the amaryllis bomb. I already ordered a new one just like what I'd had (well, the newer model, because even though I just had gotten this one in February, they changed it already). According to FedEx, it's to be delivered tomorrow! That was FAST! But I'm going to check Henry's anyway, just to satisfy my curiosity.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Kylee - what kind of camera was it? You must have liked it to reorder it. I was really bummed to read your camera was a goner. My hubby backed over my previous camera with the car! LOL so I kinda know how you feel.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I had a Pentax Optio s5i. Those are really hard to find now, as they've come out with the SV. That's what I bought. Same features, same megapixels (5) and about the same size. I loved that camera! It fits in an Altoids tin and takes great pictures, even macros. I love how small it is.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jody,

Wow, that's great. I don't have much luck with Roses. I have2 mini's that I planted last year in a bed that's right next to the house and I was so surprised in Spring when they came back. Other than that I have lost any that I have planted.

Lucy,

That Mum is beautiful.

Ann,

Your new bed is great, can't wait to see picks in spring of all the bulbs blooming.

Kelly

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sandy,
What is it with DH's and cameras? Mine left our A80 in a rental car in Germany in March. Been using a Fuji E510 all summer which gives me good close-ups, but I'm not so happy with the quality of general garden scapes.

Ann

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Yeah really! My old camera was a Pentax Optio S (like Kylee's .... nice and small, it fit in my purse.) Well...just 'cause it was in my purse and on the floor of the garage doesn't mean he had to DRIVE over it! Geesh. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.