Wintering over

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I have a Cytisus praecox, http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64204/index.html, and I live in Zone 5. It's in a container and I want to keep it over winter. My thought is to leave it out for another couple of weeks (it's been VERY warm) and then put it in the cellar. Questions are: can I should I) put it in my dark cellar which can get below freezing, my 'middle cellar' which is fairly wam and has occasional light, or in my plant cellar un der the lights???? I put my deciduous Bonsai into the back cellar for 3-4 months each year but my brugs I put in the plant cellar. AAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If there is no sheltered area near your house, then, from your description, I would put it in your middle cellar, but keep it watered. But I'm not an expert, since I've only been to Pittsfield in the summer.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

bseddon, I checked the PF entry, and the Zoning was missing, so I looked it up in Hort. A-Z. They list it as a Zone 6-9, and our PF lists that as 25F to -10F. Maybe some shelter would be sufficient. However, I'd mulch around it to keep the temp rather constant so the pot doesn't freeze and thaw over the winter. It also seems to be drought tolerant, so limited winter watering may be necessary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.