Can you "Lasagna Compost" in a container?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I container garden exclusively (with a concrete balcony for "yard", what else can you do?). As I was going through the motions of cleaning up the garden this fall/winter, I noticed that some of my containers weren't as full of soil as I had hoped. I was wondering if I were to add shredded newspaper and divert some of the "greens" that would otherwise go to the worm bin to make a sort of mini-lasagna bed, would that work out for me over the winter such that I'll have that beautiful soil that is promised to people making lasagna beds?

Or is it the fact that I'm in a container on the second story on top of a concrete balcony going to keep away beneficial composting fauna that would otherwise be available to those who are doing this on the ground?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Leave the compost to the garden & beds. Essentially what your trying to do is grow in compost. The sole advantage in adding compost to containers is in its ability to deliver whatever micro-nutrients might have been in the dead plant material. I can find no reason to use it in container soils. I'll explain:

Above all else, a container gardener should be certain that the soil being used will retain its structure and hold air for the expected life of the planting. Those gardening in containers can easily change the amount of light, water, and nutrients the container receives, but what to be done about aeration/drainage after the planting is made? Nothing.

The earth is not like a container and many garden practices are fine in the garden, but should be left there. Ideal container soils are nothing like ideal garden soils. They need to drain well and hold good amounts of both air and water.

I regularly catch flack for speaking out against the use of compost in container soils, but compost, already in an advanced state of decay, breaks down quickly in soils, reducing aeration and retaining too much water. The additional retention of water as a result of its use further hastens not only the breakdown of of the compost, but the other soil components as well. Its one advantage, a possible source of minor elements, is outweighed by its deleterious effects on soil structure and can be compensated for by simply adding the minors in chemical or organic form (seaweed emulsion or other micro-nutrient supplements). Some tout its use, citing the microbial activity it provides. All that's needed for all the microbes a 100% organic soil like most of us grow in can use, is a little moisture & some nitrogen. It's good to remember that too much microbial activity in container plantings has a negative effect on soil structure as a result of the rapid cleaving of hydrocarbon chains in any organic molecules - accelerated soil collapse.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.