Dutchmans pipevine seedpod

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is what a dutchmans pipevine seedpod looks like. It is filled with bunches and bunches of seed.

Thumbnail by rylaff
(Zone 7b)

do you have a pic of the bloom? how big is the seedpod in inches?

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Kind of looks like a peanut. lol

Nice looking vine you have there.

Joan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Ooooh, way to go Mommy!
:) Donna

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here are the blooms. I get many many blooms each year, but rarely get seeds. This is only the second pod in three years. The blooms are large, the pods is several inches long. The seeds are small and there will be hundreds inside one pod.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

rylaff, you call them dutchmans pipevine. Would it be correct to say that it is related to Dutchman's Pipe which is orange?

Joan

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Probably not. This is an Aristolochia.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here are all the common names for Aristolochia elegans:
Calico flower, Dutchman's pipe, pipe vine

Check this link out for more info:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/aris_ele.cfm

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Rylaff, my plant is exactly like yours, (no seed pod though) and they called it Dutchmans Pipe when I bought, I did finaly get two flowers on this summer, was not lucky enough to get a pod.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to figure out if this is the same plant that I have always known as a Dutchman's Pipe. My grandmother had one that covered her front porch in Rapid City, SD. It covered most of the porch for decades. It was there in the 1940's when I was growing up and it was old then. It grew there until the 1990's when we sold the house and the people who bought it had no appreciation for it. It had already been damaged by some idiot who was there to deal with some pest or something and poisoned it but it was recovering from that.

Anyway, the one that I remember had huge leaves (probably 8 to 10 inches long) and little tiny flowers that were shaped something like a curved pipe (like a Sherlock Holmes pipe) with a ruffle on the front. That ruffle was sort of purple and in the center was an entrance to the hollow green pipe shape. That entrance had a yellow or gold ring around it.

I have looked at some of the pictures of the plant mentioned here and the blossoms look somewhat the same except for the size. The ones on my grandmother's plant were only about 1.5 to 2 inches tall (from where it started on the vine to the bottom of the curve). The seed pods on her's were about 3 to 4 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter. Could the difference in size be due to an older variety (this one was probably started in the 1930's) or the climate of South Dakota? Her's was only one of two that I ever saw up there and the other one was just about a half a block up the street from her and probably started at about the same time.

Sorry to be to verbose, but I'm really interested in finding a plant like hers to try down here in Austin, TX.

Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

Gayle, Your Grandmother probably had Aristolochia Tomentosa, or A. Durior, they are a hardy Aristolochia, the flower you described is differently one of these two, I'll have fresh A. Durior seeds in about a week.

Bill

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Lisa would you save me a few seeds please. Mine went MIA in Hurricane Katrina with 19' of water

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

You bet,Donna. Remember to start these while they are fresh. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The Tomentosa or Durior are really neat. Very small flower and such big leaves. I would luv to try and see if it is hardy for my area. I noticed in some of the pictures the vine was growing in the shade. Does it prefer it over sun?

Aristolochia Tomentosa
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/arto3.htm

Aristolochia Durior
http://blue-ridge-photos.com/Flr_HTML/dtchpipe.htm

:) Donna

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, Now that's something I've not seen on mine, It did bloom quite a bit but never had a seed pod afterwards, I would love for it to get one, but I have no idea why it won't, perhaps because it's growing inthe greenhouse up in the rafters, and not outside.

kathy_ann

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

In the years that I have grown this, it is only the second time I have gotten a seed pod.I think they are pollinated by luring flies deep down into their belly. Then the fly escaoes once the flower has withered and must go to another to cross pollinate.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh yuk, I didn't know that, LOL.

kathy

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Rylaff, I love your vine! Since I'm so close to you geographically, tell me more. Looks like you have lots of shade. Does it need lots of shade? Does it die out in winter at your house?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Barbary, actually I dont have much shade. The things that need shade usually get underplanted. The dutchmans pipevine is the east side of the house so it does get late shade. Extremely happy where it is. It dies to the ground about January and comes back each spring. It grows like crazy and covers everything surrounding it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.