How can I store 'til spring?

River Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I got some asiastic lilies, but I want to plant them in a new garden I'm going to put in this spring. Should I find a place outside where I can plant them, and then move them again in the spring? or is there a way to overwinter them indoors so I can plant them in the right spot in the spring? I have a cool area in the basement, or an extra refrigerator/freezer I could store them in...what would work best?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Think the best thing would be to pot them up and then bury marked pots in the ground. Then you don't have to worry about them and you'll be able to put in your new garden next spring without any problems. If not, then in the fridge in peatmoss or vermiculite NOT repeat NOT wood shavings.
Inanda

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

While the fridge is the best place to keep them for a short while before planting, from what I've read, I am doubtful that they will survive the winter in the fridge. If they are hardy in your area, better to plant now and move later. I like the idea of planting them in pots buried in soil for now. BTW, probably better to wait until fall or atleast until after they have bloomed to move them.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Didn't explain myself too well I guess. When you make yur new garden, just bury the lilies still in their pots till after they have bloomed - if you want to. I just take mine out of pots and plant right in the ground in the spring.

If I have any lilium in the fridge I keep an eye on them so Ican pot them up when/if they do start sprouting.

Inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.