Foods low in iron

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I need to make a list of foods that are very low in iron. Yesterday I had my physical and they are testing me for hemochomatosis because my iron levels in my blood were WAY high.

The doctor told me to quit taking my multivitamin and take in as little iron as possible in my diet until the results of the rest of the rest of the tests come back. He also said to limit the vitamin C too, as that helps the body absorb iron, and we don't want that. I didn't think to ask him what I could eat though. I was too much in shock I think.

Once the tests are all back, I will most likely have to have a pint of blood drawn every week until the iron levels come down, but he doesn't want to do that until he is certain what we are dealing with.

So, now I ask, what CAN I eat? Any ideas?

I think most non-citrus fruits are okay, and I did a quick google search, but mostly found foods to eat when you are anemic and needing iron. That eliminated meats and spinach.

If you know of any foods that are very low in iron, please post them. I will appreciate it very much.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!