Best way to get clematis from NC to WA

Vashon Island, WA(Zone 8b)

Should I mail the plants, (they'll be planted upon their arrival in WA) or pot them & take them with us, (they'll be in a u-haul for 6-8 days) ?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

As long as it doens't get to hot and stiffling in the uhaul, you can take them in that.

Mailing would certainly be faster, but more expensive.

Clematis are pretty tough, and I've even ordered them and received them bare root. I worried about them, but they were just fine.

If they are special or not replaceable, I'd say mail them. If it isn't a big deal, and they are pretty healthy and tough, I'd say take them with you and save the postage...
-T

(Zone 7b)

When we bought this place, I wanted to bring my 5 clematis vines from the old place, all of whom had been bought in pots and put in the ground - I called every nursery in town, and they all said "oh no, you can't move clematis sucessfully!" but I thought to try anyway, so I just bucked them down to about 6", dug 'em up, and plunked them into the ground over here, and they are all doing just fine, one even bloomed last fall, (after being planted in July) and they all bloomed this year, so go ahead and try it - I think they are a lot tougher than we may think!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.