Photo Contest

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dave is asking for judging categories for lilies. What do you think? See Nov. 3 post ~ http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/549693/#new

Species, Asiatics, Orientals, and Hybrids?

This message was edited Nov 3, 2005 1:44 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Moby, those sound good to me.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hmmm. I've been thinking on this one but I can't get past thinking that the trouble with the lilies category is that people won't vote if they don't understand the voting category. For example, it may be only lily growers that will feel comfortable enough to vote in the Hybrids category (I'm not even completely sure which lilies would fit here just by the name). It sure would be nice to include everyone in the voting process.

What do you think?

But, in any case, I'd like to add a Best Overall.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I hope folks will remember that they should choose a pic that they find strikingly pretty. This is all for fun and not about what is an "exemplary specimen". Aww...that's for lily shows and judges! :)

I'm for a "Best Overall". Over what is the problem. LOL

To make it easier and not scare off anyone that isn't exactly a lily fancier, how about just Asiatics, Orientals, 'Other Types' and Best Overall?

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

I like your ideas Moby. KISS is my motto. It's not a "Lily Show", it's a Photo contest, so the most pleasing photograph should win the most votes.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Those categories sound great, Moby.

Yep, KISS was exactly my point because it's left up to the voters what category to put the photo in, not the submitter.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks sanannie, for giving me a little different perspective on the subject. Sometimes I forget that we don't all have the same knowledge.

Speaking of which ~ with things slow down enough for me to get some pics together, maybe you can help me with my hosta education. :)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

LOL I don't know how much help I'd be - but willing to give it a shot!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi all--my nose up from the grindstone for a moment....

If all are to judge, photo should just be chosen on color , clarity & beauty. Difficulty of growing & details are stuff we can argue out in the lily Forum.

Back to work....

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I was content with the categories we had (thanks Moby!) but now that Wandasflowers has mentioned it.......what she says rings true for me. Unless we caption our lilies as to being asiatic, etc., only those folks who know their lilies will feel capable of judging the photos.

So, I've tried to come up with some more 'visual' categories to hopefully make it easier for all DGers to cateogorize the photo when they judge it.

Best overall
Best color or color combination
Best display of elegance/beauty
Best display of cuteness/charm
Most eye-catching/showy
Most interesting characteristic or pattern
Best grouping of lilies
Best mixed planting or garden scene

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? I don't think it's too late to change. I would think we could change or add categories up until the end of submissions at the end of the month. There are 54 entries already!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I like your last category the most, sanannie--I love to look at how lilies are used in a garden display!!!

I hope everybody is posting lots of pics!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

hmmm. I'll have to look & see if I have anything suitable to enter.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Or, how about something simpler like:

Best Overall
Best Closeup
Best Combination or Group
Best Mixed Planting or Garden Scene

Please tell me what you think. I can take it LOL. Even if you'd like it left as is (best, oriental, asiatic, other)

Sandy

I like your last suggestion, Sandy. Keep it simple.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Any more thoughts? Only 2 weeks til it's all over!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How about if we just scratch the "Best Mixed Planting or Garden Scene" right now and give the prize to Wanda??

*snicker, snicker* Just kiddin'!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL!

I like the catagories:

Best Closeup

But I'm not sure about:

Best Overall

I'm with Moby on that one.....best over what?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Ahh, mgh, I see your point about Best Overall and I missed that reference in Moby's initial post. Yep, the 3 categories you mentioned should cover everything.

Sandy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I was also thinking along the lines of best pattern, markings...?

Maybe a Best Overall would be OK for a pic that doesn't fit neatly in a particular category?

This message was edited Nov 17, 2005 11:26 PM

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

OK, so far we have:

Best Closeup
Best Markings or Pattern

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

I believe the three categories should cover nearly every entry:

Best Lily Closeup would take into account patterns and markings
Best Combination or Group would take in arrangements of cut lilies
Best Mixed Planting or Garden Scene is self explanatory.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Also a good point that patterns could be accounted for in Best Closeup.

So, if there are no more suggestions, I'll ask Dave tomorrow if he could change our judging categories to:

Best Closeup

'kay?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

K

K ;-)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

bout time ! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.