Should 'new' growth be sprouting .. now(?)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Earlier today .. I'd noticed some of my 'unknown' Peonies have about 2-4 brand new 'eyes' sprouting out from the bottom!

These, were planted in my yardens earlier this spring .. to which, they'd appeared to have died completely (when we returned from an extended vacation, back in early part of September).

I'm curious; should these guys be 'behaving' by putting on 'new' sprouts .. now(?) I don't recall witnessing this before - after 9 years of Peony bliss, here in NW Arkansas. It's been mitey cool .. but, not any freezing temps, yet. I'm a bit baffled .. and, ohhh so thrilled .. all at the same time.

Perhaps I've simply managed to 'miss' noticing this in previous years

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
Corte Madera, CA

congratulations, magpye. new and more eyes are good. in my zone it's ok to have them out like that. i'm not sure how it's supposed to be in yours.

someone in the know will give you an answer, i hope.

mg

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't know the answer but I can tell you this Magpye.. when I transplanted some peony roots from pot to the ground last weekend , I noticed some new, fresh eyes on them. I've noticed this before when transplanting in the fall. They always seem to do ok. I've never had them break ground though. This is interesting.

Eureka, CA

I noticed the same thing yesterday, on some peonies I have in a 1/2 oak barrel! This is their second winter there. Our temps here are very moderate - not much of a range. Maybe they're happy!

Sanna

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys .. for your valuable input.

I've gone and taken a closer look at all of the Peonies .. and, yep .. all .. have new eyes! Reckon it IS something that I've been missin' seeing, afterall.

- Magpye

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My tree peony 'Sahohime' that I bought at the Cleveland Flower Show this spring is really going to town! New eyes from the bottom and all along the stems! Mine too, did nothing all summer, and now is in a sprouting frenzy!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Corte Madera, CA

that's one exciting peony!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I know!!! And it had better be okay in zone 5b!

Corte Madera, CA

i have a friend who's from ohio, and he told me peonies love your weather.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I live just ten miles north of Van Wert, the Peony Capital of the World! :-)

http://www.vanwert.com/peony/about.asp

You want to see peonies? I don't think there is a single home in the whole city or county, for that matter, where you won't see a peony bush (or two, or three, or four...).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.