Fall JP's

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This is a picture taken in my local municipla park yesterday. It's 'Atropurpureum'..hard to improve on the fall colour.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

That is so beautiful it's making my throat tighten up. Thanks for posting it. Dotti

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is really lovely. I really like the airiness of it. Do you prune it?

My trees are turning over night. Here's a Bloodgood.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a Maiku Jaku. The only problem with this tree is that it doesn't drop it's leaves and they have to be removed because it gets unsightly. Highly worth growing though. I have to work at keeping it in bounds in this spot.

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I love that Maiku Jaku....reminds me of Seiryu.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Seiryu is stunningly beautiful but it is a finer dissectum. This is a Aconitifolium or the Dancing Peacock.
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A980

This message was edited Nov 10, 2005 7:46 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I was going to suggest that it was not a A. palmatum but the true A. japonicum. That one was on my list for next spring! (along with Seiryu and Koto no Ito)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I can see why you thought that and you may be right. From what I can see, the A. japonicum grows quite large winged seed pods and this doesn't.

You will love Koto no Ito. I have a photo of mine on the plantfiles. It is incredibly lovely and it's something that stops people in their tracks.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/72951/

I bought a Sherwood Flame and a Suminagashi this summer and I'm growing them as street trees. In California they will get to 25 feet high. All the cultivars grow bigger here because of the nice weather. There's a seedling maple at my nursery that is at least 35 feet high. I hope that the ones I have won't get that big. I think that my very favorite is a seedling though. It's about 25 years old. It doesn't have spectacular fall colors though but the pale green in the spring is wonderful against the dark redwood trees behind it.

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'll be growing Koto no Ito in a pot since I have no garden space left! That should keep it small. Your's is indeed lovely. And that un-named seedling is wonderful with the lime green spring leaves! I have Red Pygmy which is like a red-leaved Koto no Ito.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and speaking of un-named seedlings, this is one of mine I grew from seed. The spring growth is fantastic...in summer it goes green but in fall it's a mix of pink, orange and yellow.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Red Pygmy is great - and Koto no Ito will be really lovely in a pot. I'm a little worried about mine getting too big for it's spot planted in the ground. It's growing like a weed which I didn't expect.

The seedling is breathtaking. The Japanese Maple man at my nursery puts it very well. He says that seedlings are like snowflakes.

Here are two more. One is about 25 years old, the other is at least 50 but spent it's youth in a pot.

Oops - edited to say that I'm sorry I got off of the fall theme here.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2005 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Don't worry about being off-topic. It's still about the JM's

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Todd. :-)

I have one more red one to photo today - the seedlings all turn yellow and aren't half so fabulous.

Chicago, IL

I'm soooo nostalgic for last week . . .
is there a "Is it Spring yet" forum?

Thanks for the care and feeding of this forum, and for lending your knowledge and expertise.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

These are leaves that just emerged on a Sherwood Flame. I bought it this summer and it was totally crinkled but these came out about three weeks ago. So is it spring foliage or fall foliage? Or do we care??

Thumbnail by doss
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Todd your seedling looks like Orange Dream. I don't know if this comes true from seed, but I know some acers do have a good percantage of likeness to parent.

What do you think?

http://www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/acer_palmatum_2/page_04.htm

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I was thinking my seedling comes closest to Orange Dream...but since it is a seedling and not a graft, I cannot in all conscious call it Orange Dream...maybe I'll coin it 'Orange Dream Wannabe'

Is that the plant that 'wannabe' or you that 'wannabe'! I know what you mean though, in the true recognition sense. It is lovely, I have some A. 'osakazuki' that I grew from seed about 5/6 years ago, they are all variable, only have about 5 out of 10 left but one has taken off last year and a couple looking very shaky. I have tried several types, some just don't want to grow.

I got a small A. palmatum possibly 4 years ago in a 9 cm pot, around a foot tall, from my local, they had a tray full of diferent ones, no names, but this one caught my eye because it had brilliant red autumn colours. It has got really quite big, and this is the first winter I have left it outside in its pot, I think it would survive in the ground now. It is also the first year I have had the brilliant red colour, and it has been a very cold, dull summer/autumn. That seems strange to me, I thought they would show better colouring in the sun, but perhaps that is for when it is growing leaves, not loosing them!

Taken 16th October

This message was edited Feb 6, 2006 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Chicago, IL

Great to see this forum thriving!
I just bought a 4-unit income property in need of all kinds of TLC so my weekends probably won't have much to do with gardening this year.
-h'

h, do I detect a note of sadness here? Bet you can't keep away from gardening, after all you will need something to bust the stress! If you are away from home doing your renovations, perhaps you could take some plants with you for company?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.