Clematis and Roses

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I posted this in the rose forum also, but hadn't gotten any comments, so I thought I would post it here also.

I have heard that these two make great companions and I understand how it works with a climbing rose, but how do I do it with a shrub rose? I am going to plant two of the Green Roses in my beds. In my latest Garden Gate, they recommend Clematis 'Rosemoor' as great with roses because of the long bloom season. I think it will be a good combination because the Green Rose is interesting upclose and the Clematis is interesting from a distance (at least that's my thought). How far from the rose bush should I plant the clematis? When can I plant the clematis? The roses are coming from Antique Rose Emporium and I will have them this week and get them in the ground. Do I have to wait until Spring to plant the Clematis? Any special care I need?

So please give me your thoughts on this. If I am way off, please let me know that too.

Thanks.

Hi, Shuggins.

I have not planted any clematis and shrub roses together, but I do have some climbers and clematis on my back fence. Both the roses and the clematis are fairly young, so I have not seen the effect of the combination yet. I got the idea from a book I have called "The Rose and the Clematis." But what I do not understand is how one can properly prune the rose with a clematis growing all through it without improperly pruning the clematis, or, conversely, how one can prune the clematis properly with a rose growing all through it, without improperly pruning the clematis.

It seems to me that there's no way of not having the one interefere with the other.

What are your thoughts on this?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Shuggins-
I have many clematis in not only rose bushes, but in other types of bushes, as well...

I try to not only color coordinate them, but also choose clematis that don't get very big.

My favorites are the little leatherflowers and TX natives. Clematis pitcheri, c. texenxis, c. crispa, etc...

They don't overwhelm the roses/bushes, and they die to the ground each season, so no real trick to pruning...they "prune themselves".

Another nice small vine to use through bushes is centrosema. They are LOVELY mixed with roses!

To answer your question about where to plant, I just plant them as close to the base of the rose as I can, without disturbing the roots. It basically just needs to start out in the shade of the bush, and then climb towards, and bloom in, the sun.
-T

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, I'm not completely sure. My understanding is that you can prune them both at the same time and that would help. Also, I think it depends on the type of Clematis that you put with the roses, since I read that some are better suited than others. The Rosemoor was specifically listed in a magazine for this purpose. They just didn't say exactly how to do it. Some one in the rose forum said that it was best to plant them both about the same time. I'm no sure exactly how to get the Clematis growing in the rose bush, I assume you would tie it on until it gets established. Hopefully, this is easier than stringing Christmas lights because I am not very good at that....

The book you have didn't say anything about all these questions. I haven't even actually seen this done, but it just sounded neat and unusual (something that I seem to strive for).

Hopefully some one will come along that is a little more knowledgeable than I am. If not, I think I am going to just jump off and do it. I already have the roses on order, so now just need to order the Clematis.

Edited to say that thankfully some one who knows more than me, posted while I was typing...

This message was edited Nov 2, 2005 7:48 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

seedpicker_TX, So if the vine starts to overrun the rose bush, can you just cut the vine back? The 'Rosemoor" is said to get 8-10 feet, so it is not one of the really huge ones, but I don't know what else to look for to determine whether or not it is a good selection. Since I am going with the Green Rose, there is no competition between the colors for the flowers and I liked the deep red, as well as the fact it is said to bloom from Spring to Fall (I think that's what I read). To prune it, you are supposed to just remove all of the stems above the base of the previous season's growth.

If others have a long bloom season like that I would be interested in knowing varieties to look for. Obviously, I don't know anything about Clematis, except that I drool when I see them in magazines.

Thanks.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

OMG seedpicker, I just looked up clematis texensis and that is absolute perfect for this spot I'm thinking about. Can yo grow from seed? if yes, is there a place you recommend?

Sheila, I tried Nelly Moser for a shady spot in my garden and I lost them. I suspect I didn't water enough, or else they didn't like my too hot weather.

Then I bought a purple one at walmart that was doing great until a tree fell over it and it died.

Then I bought 1 on ebay that cost me a fortune and is growing very very slowly, but not dead so there's hope.

If you want to experiment with clematis, I recommend buying at walmart for $5 for a 4" pot around mother's day.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, you can grow it from seed, but it takes a while. They can take up to a year to germinate.
Best to just find a plant. Do you have any nurseries around you that have the natives? I'd ask them.
Most of mine I sowed seed many years ago. It is a long wait, but worth it. A plant is a lot quicker!

Clematis don't like to be too wet. Near roses, (which need a lot of water) you need to be sure the soil is ammended and/or has good drainage. Otherwise, they'll just rot.
-T

The thing is this: climbers, to bloom as much as possible, must have laterals pruned back. Otherwise, they will only bloom at their tips. How do you do that without also pruning back the clematis, which you don't want to have to cut. Question: Are there any public gardens anyone knows of where the rose and clematis are grown together? It only seems correct to me that one is going to have to, at some point, compromise one for the other. JMO

Don't know for sure because have only just begun growing them together. The roses are "Compassion," a wonderful climber, and the clematis are Jackmanni, Nelly Moser, Naiobi and several others, mostly Jackmanii types.

Elliot

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.