Had success overwintering annuals?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Wanted to know what annuals y'all have had good luck turning into winter "houseplants".
I have several gorgeous baskets of impatiens that I hate to see die and also a scented geranium I'd like to keep.

Thanks!!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I have been able to overwinter new self-seeded Flowering Tobacco (nicotiana), coleus, geranium, Magilla gorilla, Persian Shield, begonias, self-seeded Calendula, copperleaf, fushsia, Cuphea ignea (cigar plant), impatiens, Torenia fournieri (Wishbone flower), Bocopa,
Mimosa, Pineapple Sage, Hypoesetes, and Plectranthes 'Mona Lavender'. I don't carry all these over every year, but have had success with the above varieties over the years.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Almost every tender perenial used as annual is "overwinterable". Some are just looking better than others inside the house, the ugliest will get great when put outside the following spring. Though, I almost never seen a nice 2nd year brugmansia, maybe this is the grower's fault, I will see this summer since it is my first experience with overwintering brugmansia.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

This doesn't count, because it's the first year I've done it, but I am overwintering Geraniums (the leaves look awful, but I think the plants are healthy); and Mandevilla, which is doing great! I just water them about every 3 weeks to a month, and I don't give them enough water to run out the bottom of the pot.

These are the perfect plants for me to overwinter, because I am terrible about watering my houseplants anyway.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm overwintering the Gerbera daisies my grandma had in her flower beds this summer. They lost all of their original leaves, but while they were doing that, they were sprouting new ones, as well as FLOWER BUDS! The new growth is way smaller, but my goal is to just keep them alive until spring. Just today, one of them bloomed.

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.