I'm probably going to get teased for posting this but...

I received this in an e-mail and it was sort of interesting because I started looking up what it said about personal friends and relatives based on their birthdates and thought it was uncannily on target. It was fun though, what can I say.

Find your birthday and then find your tree. This is really cool and
somewhat accurate. Then send it to all your friends, including the one who sent it to you, so they can find out what tree they fell from, but don't forget to change the subject line to your tree...

Dec 23 to Jan 01 Apple Tree
Jan 01 to Jan 11 Fir Tree
Jan 12 to Jan 24 Elm Tree
Jan 25 to Feb 03 Cypress Tree
Feb 04 to Feb 08 Poplar Tree
Feb 09 to Feb 18 Cedar Tree
Feb 19 to Feb 28 Pine Tree
Mar 01 to Mar 10 Weeping Willow Tree
Mar 11 to Mar 20 Lime Tree
Mar 21 (only) Oak Tree
Mar 22 to Mar 31 Hazelnut Tree
Apr 01 to Apr 10 Rowan Tree
Apr 11 to Apr 20 Maple Tree
Apr 21 to Apr 30 Walnut Tree
May 01 to May 14 Poplar Tree
May 15 to May 24 Chestnut Tree
May 25 to Jun 03 Ash Tree
Jun 04 to Jun 13 Hornbeam Tree
Jun 14 to Jun 23 Fig Tree
Jun 24 (only) Birch Tree
Jun 25 to Jul 04 Apple Tree
Jul 05 to Jul 14 Fir Tree
Jul 15 to Jul 25 Elm Tree
Jul 26 to Aug 04 Cypress Tree
Aug 05 to Aug 13 Poplar Tree
Aug 14 to Aug 23 Cedar Tree
Aug 24 to Sep 02 Pine Tree
Sep 03 to Sep 12 Weeping Willow Tree
Sep 13 to Sep 22 Lime Tree
Sep 23 (only) Olive Tree
Sep 24 to Oct 03 Hazelnut Tree
Oct 04 to Oct 13 Rowan Tree
Oct 14 to Oct 23 Maple Tree
Oct 24 to Nov 11 Walnut Tree
Nov 12 to Nov 21 Chestnut Tree
Nov 22 to Dec 01 Ash Tree
Dec 02 to Dec 11 Hornbeam Tree
Dec 12 to Dec 21 Fig Tree
Dec 22 (only) Beech Tree

YOUR TREE (in alphabetical order)

Apple Tree (the Love) -- quiet and shy at times, lots of charm, appeal,and attraction, pleasant attitude, flirtatious smile, adventurous, sensitive, loyal in love, wants to love and be loved, faithful and tender partner, very generous, many talents, loves children, needs affectionate partner.

Ash Tree (the Ambition) -- extremely attractive, vivacious, impulsive, demanding, does not care for criticism, ambitious, intelligent, talented, likes to play with fate, can be very egotistic, reliable, restless lover, sometimes money rules over the heart, demands attention, needs love and much emotional support.

Beech Tree (the Creative) -- has good taste, concerned about its looks, materialistic, good organization of life and career, economical, good leader, takes no unnecessary risks, reasonable, splendid lifetime companion, keen on keeping fit (diets, sports, etc.).

Birch Tree (the inspiration) -- vivacious, attractive, elegant, friendly, unpretentious, modest, does not like anything in excess, abhors the vulgar, loves life in nature and in calm, not very passionate, full of imagination, little ambition, creates a calm and content atmosphere.

Cedar Tree (the Confidence) -- of rare strength, knows how to adapt, likes unexpected presents, of good health, not in the least shy, tends to look down on others, self-confident, a great speaker, determined, often impatient, likes to impress others, has many talents, industrious, healthy optimism, waits for the one true love, able to make quick decisions.

Chestnut Tree (the Honesty) -- of unusual stature, impressive, well-developed sense of justice, fun to be around, a planner, born diplomat, can be irritated easily, sensitive of others feelings, hard worker, sometimes acts superior, feels not understood at times, fiercely family oriented, very loyal in love, physically fit.

Cypress Tree (the Faithfulness) -- strong, muscular, adaptable, takes what life has to give but doesn't necessarily like it , strives to be content, optimistic, wants to be financially independent, wants love and affection, hates loneliness, passionate lover which cannot be satisfied, faithful, quick-tempered at times, can be unruly and careless, loves to gain knowledge, needs to be needed.

Elm Tree (the Noble-mindedness) -- pleasant shape, tasteful clothes, modest demands, tends not to forgive mistakes, cheerful, likes to lead but not to obey, honest and faithful partner, likes making decisions for others, noble-minded, generous, good sense of humor, practical.

Fig Tree (the Sensibility) -- very strong minded, a bit self-willed, honest, loyal, independent, hates contradiction or arguments, hard worker when wants to be, loves life and friends, enjoys children and animals, few sexual relationships, great sense of humor, has artistic talent and great intelligence.

Fir tree (the Mysterious) -- extraordinary taste, handles stress well, loves anything beautiful, stubborn, tends to care for those close to them, hard to trust others, yet a social butterfly, likes idleness and laziness after long demanding hours at work, rather modest, talented, unselfish, many friends, very reliable.

Hazelnut Tree (the Extraordinary) -- charming, sense of humor, very demanding but can also be very understanding, knows how to make a lasting impression, active fighter for social causes and politics, popular, quite moody, sexually oriented, honest, a perfectionist, has a precise sense of judgment and expects complete fairness.

Hornbeam Tree (the Good Taste) -- of cool beauty, cares for its looks and condition, good taste, is not egoistic, makes life as comfortable as possible, leads a reasonable and disciplined life, looks for kindness and acknowledgment in an emotional partner, dreams of unusual lovers, is seldom happy with its feelings, mistrusts most people, is never sure of its decisions, very conscientious.

Lime Tree (the Doubt) - intelligent, hard working, accepts what life dishes out, but not before trying to change bad circumstances into good ones, hates fighting and stress, enjoys getaway vacations, may appear tough, but is actually soft and relenting, always willing to make sacrifices for family and friends, has many talents but not always enough time to use them, can become a complainer, great leadership qualities, is jealous at times but extremely loyal.

Maple Tree (Independence of Mind) -- no ordinary person, full of imagination and originality, shy and reserved, ambitious, proud, self-confident, hungers for new experiences, sometimes nervous, has many complexities, good memory, learns easily, complicated love life, wants to impress.

Oak Tree (the Brave) -- robust nature, courageous, strong, unrelenting,
independent, sensible, does not like change, keeps its feet on the ground,
person of action.

Olive Tree (the Wisdom) -- loves sun, warmth and kind feelings, reasonable, balanced, avoids aggression and violence, tolerant, cheerful, calm, well-developed sense of justice, sensitive, empathetic, free of jealousy, loves to read and the company of sophisticated people.

Pine Tree (the Peacemaker) -- loves agreeable company, craves peace and harmony, loves to help others, active imagination, likes to write poetry, not fashion conscious, great compassion, friendly to all, falls strongly in love but will leave if betrayed or lied to, emotionally soft, low self esteem, needs affection and reassurance.

Poplar Tree (the Uncertainty) -- looks very decorative, talented, not very self-confident, extremely courageous if necessary, needs goodwill and pleasant surroundings, very choosy, often lonely, great animosity, great artistic nature, good organizer, tends to lean toward philosophy, reliable in any situation, takes partnership seriously.

Rowan Tree (the Sensitivity) -- full of charm, cheerful, gifted without egoism, likes to draw attention, loves life, motion, unrest, and even complications, is both dependent and independent, good taste, artistic, passionate, emotional, good company, does not forgive.

Walnut Tree (the Passion) -- unrelenting, strange and full of contrasts, often egotistic, aggressive, noble, broad horizon, unexpected reactions, spontaneous, unlimited ambition, no flexibility, difficult and uncommon partner, not always liked but often admired, ingenious strategist, very jealous and passionate, no compromise.

Weeping Willow (the Melancholy) - likes to be stress free, loves family life, full of hopes and dreams, attractive, very empathetic, loves anything beautiful, musically inclined, loves to travel to exotic places, restless, capricious, honest, can be influenced but is not easy to live with when pressured, sometimes demanding, good intuition, suffers in love until they find that one loyal, steadfast partner; loves to make others laugh.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2005 10:38 AM

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

No comment (from a Walnut)

Guy S.

Ha, you think a Walnut is bad? How do you think I feel? I'm a Fig.

I should go edit that post and clean it up so people can read it. It's actually pretty funny.

Me too! Coming from a Cedar tree.. I like some of the aspects of the Cedar, but I'm afraid I'm not all of them. - I am shy, I don't look down on others and I'm not a great speaker (well, unless its just speaking to 1 or 2 people). I took a look at Chestnut, I would probably resemble it more closely. Although I don't irritate easily or act superior to others. Oh, and physically fit, thats kind of on again off again! Right now its off!

Oh, happy b-day Guy, if you had one or are having one coming up, the Walnut.. hehe!

You fig you!

Will

Well, I'll say this about that: "Astrolotree" is about as dumb as astrology, but far less harmful because it is less well known.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Sounds like perverse1 is having a bad day.

Al

Walnut's birthday is past but he'll be around for another one and we can all remind him that he's a Walnut (the Passion) then.

Hey there, watch who you're poking sport at you Cedar you!

Say tapla, what kind of a tree are you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You can drag "poplar tree" out of me, but I'll be danged if I'll admit to which of the adjectives in the description fit me. I'll say that they're a little over 50% correct, though. ;o)

Al

A little tree of mine.

Thumbnail by tapla

What a spectacular photo you have there Poplar... tee he. Tell me about that photo please and what do you have growing in the acorn? That is really neat. I know you will have to transplant what ever you've got there real soon but that sure is an awesome photo. So, what is it please. Tell me tell me do!

For what it's worth, my description was considerably higher than 50%. I suspect who ever comes up with these things would be more than qualified to write fortunes to be baked into cookies. Come to think of it, the person who came up with this "Astrolotree", as coined by perseverence1, probably wrote out the characteristics for those Chinese paper placemats. You know... if you are born in such and such year you are a rat or a pig or a horse or whatever. Have you ever read your placemat when eating at one of those all you can eat Chinese buffets? You'll probably get a 50% plus hit off the paper place mat too.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Pig here (in Chinese).
My birthday actually isn't for a couple more days. Last year on my birthday I woke up, listened to the news, and began contemplating suicide -- it was the day after the election!

Being Walnut sounds pretty scary to me on this Halloween:.
unrelenting (yup), strange and full of contrasts (sometimes), often egotistic (surely not!), aggressive (yup), noble (yeah, right!), broad horizon (more like broad waistline), unexpected reactions (huh?), spontaneous (how about volcanic?), unlimited ambition (no way), no flexibility (yup), difficult and uncommon partner (ask my wife), not always liked but often admired (heck, not often admired either), ingenious strategist (occasionally), very jealous and passionate (none of your business!), no compromise (never!).

Well, I think you're pretty noble and gentlemanly. You did open a door for me once and let me go first. Chivalry is not dead.

Sooooooo, your birthday didn't slip by. Good catch by Cedar!

Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday deeeeeeeear Starhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!
Happy Birthday to you.

How oooooooooooooold are you?
How ooold are yooooooooooooooooooooou?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Over 21. Way over.
No further comment!
Guy S.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Equilibrium - it's a Portulacaria afra growing in an acorn cap from Quercus alba (mini-jade/elephant's food/elephant bush growing in a white oak acorn cap). It's about 6 months old and growing in a soil something like kitty litter. It gets watered daily & is quite healthy, as you can see. I've grown these before. At about 1 year, the acorn cap will be deteriorated to the point that it will need "repotting" . I usually give it away or discard it at that time. I grow them more as a novelty and display them as an accessory plant to bonsai trees.

Al

Thanks for the binomial. I went and looked it up! I have virtually no familiarity with South African plants. Your little tree there is most assuredly fascinating and the photograph of it cupped in the center of your hand was impressive.

Thornton, IL

Hi Lib! Glad I found you over here. Strange, according to this, I'm Weeping Willow, sounds like everything fits, but that's not strange part. I had to do a paper in my Woody Ornamentals class, on any tree I wanted (as long as no one else "had" it, we passed around a sign-up sheet) and I picked Weeping Willow, so I know an inordinate amount about them! Coincidence? Believe it, or Not...

Hey PGZ5, you missed three of my haunts. Two you know, UMW and Trees but I like to go to Indigenous Plants, Garden Foes, and Carnivorous Plants.

I just went up and read your Astrolotree on Weeping Willow. These are actually pretty funny in fi you consider that actual traits of the species. .

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Cool, Equi! No teasing........loved it. And, wow......I'm a Fig Tree. Too right also........wow......

So nice to see another "Fig" in the lot!

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

This "astrolotree" is pretty funny! Harmless fun.

I'm pretty dead on as a Weeping Willow, but my husband is NOT a Cedar!

Sorry to all those Peacemakers (pine) that weren't born in Aug or Feb. You may have been acting contrary to your true nature . . .

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Why... oh, why couldn't I be a tree that I like? (Cedar- wishing to be an Apple or Olive)

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm an Ash tree, and man alive, it still fits, lol. Someone posted this before, i was an Ash tree then to, and it applied and nothing has changed.
Has me nailed to a T.
DH on the other hand is a chestnut and i dont think 6 out of 14 is very accurate. I ain't telling which 6, lol.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

hmmm...says I am a Pine Tree...I had the two pines on my property die this year...hope that is not a bad omen for me!! ;-)

- Brent

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I love your tiny tree, Al! =) Jade in an acorn hat, right?

The photo above inspired me to take a photo of me with a little "astrolo-tree" of mine! Yes, that IS a McDonald's cup 42 ounces.
The little Cedar has taken on its bronze/blue/green winter color. It will need a bigger pot next year. When I put it in that cup it was about an inch high.

Hey, its not the Cedar's fault that I was born in August!

Anyone recognize a book on my white book-shelf?!

Will

p.s. I had to alter the photo a little, I didn't see the chili mess on the right side of my face until I looked at the big photo on the computer! When you live alone you don't always check your face!
Don't worry about that Eastern Red Cedar, I already put it back outside with its brethren!

Thumbnail by shortleaf2005
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Tree in a McD's cup............=)

Hmmm... a book on your white book shelf???

Could you be referring to the Dictionary??? nooooo, that couldn't be the book you were referring to. How about the Missouri Atlas? Is that the book you want us to see? The book on American Cars? Why Will, I always thought your were a tree head not a closet gear head!

Oh oh oh...
toward the middle of the second shelf I see the edge of a book cover that looks really familiar. Could it be? Why I do believe it is! Let me go check something real quick on my shelf. OK, here you go- ISBN 0881926078

How did I do?

Ha! Yes, back when I put that Cedar in the McDonalds cup, I was jobless. That cup must've been looking pretty good for plants then. I have probably near a thousand empty cups (and lids) saved up, waiting for seedlings. Sonic cups, Subway cups, 7-11 cups, I don't discriminate!
If you'd like to see cups, see the below photo! That banana (Musa basjoo) tree didn't like something, it is the brown one. I have the receipts to all those, I'll get my 8 dollars back on it. It wasn't for lack of water, I water them all regularly. I will keep watering them, even the brown one, it might not be all the way dead.

Yes, Equil, that is the one, UPC code and all! It is in good company, it is next to Dirr's The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation.
I'll wait and see if the author of the book sees this and chimes in before I disclose what the book is. If anyone knows what it is, feel free to tell.

A "closet gear-head" hehe! Well, not much anymore. Though, I used to own and restore classic muscle cars. My favorite was a 1970 Barracuda!

Ok, I confess, the Cedar tree was one of my first fascinations with tree seedlings. I have one that started out several years ago in a milk -jug and now it is in a 15 gallon black plastic nursery pot! They have got to be one of the most hardy seedlings that I've ever seen. They survive cold winters in cups!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm jealous. You have a Sonic drive-in near you.

O.K. O. K. I know that's way off the subject. I used to go every day after school (sometimes during school) with my friends when I lived in Oklahoma. I miss it. sigh

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Yum.........Sonic. =) And, cool that you recycle all of those cups--great potting idea!

Lol! Yes, there are many Sonics around here! Actually, I didn't drink quite that much pop. Most of it was water. I'd ask for a 44 oz. water with my food.
Wanna see a Cedar in a Sonic cup? See the photo below. It is in front of an Eastern Red Cedar that started out as a seed in a friend's yard in 03', it went from a milk-jug to a kitty litter jug to its present black nursery pot. I dug several up before they died from repeated cuttings from their lawnmower. Those smaller ones aren't as old as that bigger Cedar.

I only collect the biggest 44 oz. Sonic cups, they are even good for the first year of an Oak seedling, (if it doesn't grow too large), the taproot grows nicely in that cup the first year. But, I always transplant the Oaks out of a cup before the first Fall.

Thanks, yes it is recycling I suppose. I would otherwise cringe or send back a styrofoam cup.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Lovely tree!

Wanna see that big Cedar in a milk-jug over 2 years ago? See the below photo. It is in the milk-jug furthest to the left. Now it is the big Cedar in the above photo.

Will

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh my gosh! Nothing like a nice fast growing tree to make you feel good about your gardening skills!

I snatched a beautiful maple seedling from the sidewalk three years ago- it had a lovely red edge to its bright green leaf. I think it might be a full moon maple of some sort. Anyway, it is 3 feet tall and shows no sign of slowing down. Made me feel good to rescue it from it's cramped position!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I asked to switch id names to this one which I created a while back.
Thats why those photos have disappeared, all my posts had to be deleted, I agreed to it.

Not to worry though, I'm still here!

Instead of it saying Shortleaf2005, I am now shortleaf, which I think is better.

I made a post in the Garden bookworm about Guy Sternberg's/Jim Wilson's latest book a while back with the other DG id name so I went back there and re-did it.

And that is the book on my white book-shelf "Native Trees for North American Landscapes" in the gone photo!

Will the Cedar!

p.s I was going to re-upload a photo, but for some reason I don't have that option.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Equil, thanks for posting this!!! So strange!!! Several on the list I like but for my birthday it was the maple and I have 3 of those...one of my new favs!

Edited to say: My gosh, my husbands is the maple too! NEAT!

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 9:45 PM

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Your rendition was funny Guy!

I too am a Fig! Hail Figs!

They're right about me having few sexual 'relations'! How about closer to none! ! ! M A N . . . . .. . . .

*Morning ruined again*

Dax

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Not really into horoscopes, but still amusing.
I am a poplar - could I be a Large toothed aspen - I like those.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Al, you can be anything you want to be -- this thread is a hybrid of the funny farm and Fantasyland anyway. Or, be AL you can be -- join the Army!

Fig, surely some sweet young thing will be impressed with your pine cones and sweep you off your feet soon. Just be sure to keep her in her place (barefoot in the kitchen, with no credit cards) or she'll turn you into her slave. Females delight in trying to do that to us poor defenseless guys!

Guy S.

Why Guy, I'm going to have to bookmark this thread and come back and post a response to your comments when I have a little bit more time to DEAL with you. Does your wife know you are out and about posting these types of misleading comments in threads :)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Ya mean the part about Al?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.