Help ID and Kill these Bugger's PLEASE

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Can anyone ID these guys that are eating away on a Schefflera a friend just gave us? I brought it inside since it's getting cooler and noticed some new foliage/branches that were limp as if dried out. Well they are dried out but not from lack of water, these bugs are sucking the juices right out of them.
Here is 1 almost actual size photo that I'll follow with some serious macro/close up lens photo's.
BTW, I just use the macro setting on my camera then a macro lens with close up filters stacked on top.

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is another shot. I either have 2 kinds of pests or they had babies.
LOL

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is 1 more shot with the smaller bugs more in focus.

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is 1 I knocked off onto a sheet of paper.

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Please let me know if you guys know what these are and how I should go about getting rid of them. I'll go looking up info about them if I can find some, I just thought I'd come here 1st.
Thanks so much!
JD

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Looks like aphids, insecticidal soaps will get rid of them while indoors, also hang up some yellow sticky traps to get those that are flying around :)

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

RIGHT ON! I thought it was aphids after doing a search. I had no idea there were so many different kinds. And with as much gardening as we've done over the years, I can't believe we've never seen them before.
I already went crazy with the Safer's, I guess I should of looked if it was safe on this plant 1st! LOL I'm sure it is.
Thanks!
JD

They are aphids. You can either squish them with glee by running your finger along the stem, hehehe, or use safer's soap. Or a synthetic pyrethroid. Just read the label on the bottle of pesticide to ensure the pest is on there and the product won't dx your plant.

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.