Ferns and what kind of hosta?

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, I need advice. We dug up a bed measuring about 3 1/2 by 8 feet that was full of damdinas (Yes I spelled that right. If you've ever dug them up you'll know what I mean.) Now I need to replant. We have a huge pecan tree on one side and a huge oak tree on the other. So this bed gets sun from about 10 til 2. Since this is Fredericksburg, we have alkaline soil. I received 2 large holly ferns from htop that I want to use here and I have 2 Francee hostas that I can plant here also. But I don't like to plant in 2's so I can either get another one or plant one of these somewhere else. I don't know which to do, or what else to put in the bed.

I like hostas, but I need some that are relatively untasty to the snails.LOL They don't seem to like Francee much, so they have done well (they are still in pots).

This is a picture of our house from the street.

Thumbnail by silverfluter
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!