I have recently inherited two perennial plants and dug them

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The first one is a type of coral bells and was just marked "pink-Flowered" I like coral bells as they attract hummingbirds in my garden for months.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The second plant is a green one with red accents. I tried to look it up in the plant files but don't know what to look under. It seems healthy but I don't really know if I want this in the garden. Is it tropical? Invasive? I'm wondering

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

If anyone knows what the variety of coral bells is, please let me know.

On the red and green plant - I will continue to search through my plant catalogs to try to identify it. If you know what it is, I would be grateful if you would post the name.
Thanks ,
Claire

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

se-eds,

the second one is a dock I agree with sanannie on that. Here we call it Garden Sorrell, we grow it for salads and soups. My grandmother does something with in her Herbal Medicines but I'm not sure what.

Gary

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

seeds--

I planted a red dock in my garden this past spring--very nice plant next to the hostas but it requires a lot of water--wilts when it gets a little dry...

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1999/

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

and with the hostas (under a winey-colored leaf prunus...)

although I think many use it in water garden plantings

Thumbnail by tabasco
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

So it is a red dock. Thank you all so much. Now I will look it up to see how tall it gets, if it gets flowers, etc. or if it just sits there are grows pretty. LOL

Nice pictures tabasco.

Thanks sanannie for the cultivar names - this gives me something to go by.

Happy fall gardening- getting-ready-for-winter, to all.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

That red dock is really neat.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

se_eds, the Rumex is grown primarily for its foliage. It does have 'flowers', but they're an insignificant small star shaped brown flower. I have heard of some people using them for dried flower arrangements.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

rcn48 - Thanks for the info. Never had this plant before.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ive had a Rumex for several years now - I like the colored foliage. But I always clip off the seed heads before they dry because I have heard they self seed prolifically. One of my neighbors had them all over her yard.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I agree, the Red Dock is very pretty.

Kelly

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I had the red dock in a garden at my previous home for years. I loved them! Very carefree, but I never had it bloom and/or seed.

Kannapolis, NC

Se_eds: the second photo is what I call Bloody Sorrel or curly dock, but it is a sorrel.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hemophobic - thank you, you know I really didn't know it was edible.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have my bloody dock growing around the birdbath and they love the water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.