Anyone here play Euchre?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm sure that only the people in Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe Minnesota and Upper Michigan will know what I'm talking about. LOL

Do any of you play online?

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't play online, but wow, that's the first card game I ever learned. It's very popular here in Ohio!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I love playing and usually end up playing solitaire euchre on the computer. I just thought I might find some people here who like to play and who wouldn't be too ticked off at my online speed. :-D
(I'm on Satellite and it's notoriusly slow.)

~julie~

Lemme see, first card game I learned how to play was Go Fish and Concentration. Then Hearts. The next game was Smier. Euchre (we always called it Pinochle) came along shortly there after and I never quite got the hang of it but everybody else did. Everybody from the UP plays cards. Is there anyone from the UP who doesn't play cards?

I don't play any games online. Maybe some day when the kids are gone.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

'Lib' Up here Euchre and Pinochle are different games entirely. Back in OK my family played Pinochle after every holiday meal. BOY, did you bring memories with that one. (I never got the hang of Pinochle...ain't that a kick in the head. :-)...all I remember now is Grandma "Shooting the moon"...and that wasn't the same thing we call 'shooting the moon' now. LOL)

Thanks for the smile...I really needed it today.

(See...you're holding *my* hand now. ;-))

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Pinochle and euchre are totally different here, too. Pinochle was hard for me, but my parents were really good at it when they used to play. We play bid euchre, whereas my DH and his family always play turnup euchre. I prefer bid, because with that, you can 'go alone' and 'shoot the moon.' With turnup, you don't do any of that.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Nope, don't know either. LOL Only Poker or Blackjack

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Have played them both, but you don't want me for a partner!! Never could figure out the 'bouwers" (spelling x I am sure too)

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Eucher, horsedeal and sheepshead were prerequisites before MIL would give her blessing on our marriage.

Should have stuck to poker, roflmbo!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Gayle...LOL...sounds like a good 'deal' to me! Do you ever play online? And if so, where. (How are you feeling today?)

~julie~

New Richmond, WI(Zone 3b)

I learned to play euchre to with my grandfather 45 years ago. My parents played in several card clubs before they pasted away. My Mother-in-law still plays at 93. I don't play often but I enjoy it. We have taught our Son-in-law how to play, so we can play at family gatherings. I didn't realize that there is so any different versions. We play with one turned up and you can play it alone. I don't know how to play online. I am not real computer savvy. I am an on-liner from 1:00 to 5:00 M-F. I am actually at work?!?! Very slow paced environment, but I get paid for it. Don't tell the boss!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah, Eucher! It's a great game. We play turn-trump, but have played Chicago on occasion, just don't ask me what the rules are for it. My father-in-law and I are always partners against my Mother-in-law and my husband. We usually play at least one night a weekend if not both. Where does one go to play it on-line?

Diann
IA Z5a

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Haven't played in ages...don't think I remember how.

Jody

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've been 'taught' about a million times, lol!! But I can *never* remember how!!
I guess it's one of those things I 'purge' from my memory banks, thinking I don't need it there!!

My parents had a 'card club' back in the 70's....they played every single weekend and alternated whose home held the 'card party'.

Ahh....memories........

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, we did the card group thing, too! Three other couples and us and all our babies. LOL. That was the early '80s.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I taught myself how to play using a computer game. Now that I've played so darned much and gotten a wee bit sneaky, NO ONE will play with me. LOL

~julie~

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey, I'll bet my mom would!

Most of her Euchre partners are gone.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Maybe we need to set a Euchre Party. You can bring your mom with you to work...and I'll supply the *party*. :-D

~julie~

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My mom grew up in Wisconsin (Beloit) and most of her relatives are still there. We knew we were adults when we got to play 500 at the "big" table at Grandma's house. :-) We played Euchre, too, but 500 (not rummy... it's like bid Euchre, but you have 10 cards) was the big game there. Grandma belonged to 2 card clubs and hosted them both at her house every week until shortly before she died at the age of 89!

Lurking in Texas...
~ Marylyn

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol!! Julie....she'd love that (OMgosh...she's 80 today!) But the bosses probably might not be partial to the idea....and you two would have to teach me all over again!!

Hey Marylyn!! You're a former Wisconsinite...so I'm glad you've quit *lurking*!! Welcome!!

Seems that Euchre holds some memories for a lot of us...those folks sitting around the table laughing.....they had a lot of fun.....there's only a few of them left....reminds me of how much I miss them!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

A variation of euchre that we like to play is Cut-throat. You play with five people. Everyone bids what they think they can get (and you count on your partner for help, just like in regular euchre), and then whomever gets the bid calls trump. They play their lowest trump, and then everyone has to play their highest trump, and whomever gets that trick is the bidder's partner. Then the other three players are partners. 3 against 2. Everyone keeps their own scores, since you never know who is going to be whose partner. It's SO fun, and my grandma gets to play that way, since she many times makes a fifth person.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

This is SO cool! Isn't it amazing how many memories are brought to the surface because of plain old card games.

Marilyn...So glad to see you 'lurking' here. Thanks for visiting with US. IF you've been in Texas for very long, you've probably been introduced to "Pitch" and (I can never remeber how to spell it...) Pinochle.

Kylee...that version of Cut-throat sounds like it would be a BLAST to play. The Cutthroat I've played is (on computer, mind you) with 3 players...and boy! you're all on your lonesome in that one. Either you win big time or LOSE big time...all depends on the cards you draw. Can't depend on a partner with that one.

Nan...your mom and my MIL had birthdays within one day of each other. MIL was 85 on the 3rd...and she *does NOT* believe in 'playing cards. (Work of the Devil!!) LOL Yeah, right! (I wonder if *that's* why I don't care for her. LOL & LOL)

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Julie, yeah, we've played cutthroat with three before, too. I really like playing that way as well as the other way.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I think we're going to have get everyone who *does* play euchre to get some computer program that lets us all play online then set up a "club" to play occasionally. I have a pretty good program from Silver Creek
They have a free download if anyone wants to see the game I play.

http://www.silvercrk.com/?SID=7252223&FromRedirect=1

I've played online several times...but stopped when my satellite ISP server got too slow for most of the players to put up with.

~julie~

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My dh's family aren't big card players, so I haven't learned any new games down here. He was somewhat bemused to see the cards come out at our wedding reception... It seemed perfectly normal to me. LOL

I'd love to play Euchre with you, Julie, although it has been awhile. I'll have to figure out how to play again.

~ Marylyn

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Marilyn...ANY TIME! Just let me know when you're ready! It would be SO much fun!

~julie~

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Julie...'work of the devil', really?!

Now, my Mom is quite religious, and she considers card-playing good healthy fun! Strange how differently people think?!

Have fun you folks....I'm too busy with plants (oh, and work, too! lol!) to think about card-playing!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My great-grandma, who died in 1988 at age 95, thought playing cards was 'the work of the devil' as well. But her son, my grandpa, was a great card player. I don't know if she knew he played though. LOL.

New Richmond, WI(Zone 3b)

If playing cards is the work of the devil, I know where I will find all of my relatives when I die. I'll be in good company.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Nan...You! Busy??? hehehe I *know* better!

Kylee...your grandpa was probably being the 'defiant' one. LOL

KristaJoy...looks like you and I will *both* be the same place. If you get there before I do, save me a place at the table! :-D

And as for the 'work of the devil' comment...I used to *believe* my MIL *until* I heard the very old country song "Deck of Cards"...and it made far more sense to me than a superstitious tradition of a .....nevermind, I was getting to close to letting my hair down. LOL

~julie~

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, come on Julie....close only counts in horseshoe. LOLOLOL.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Kylee...does that mean *everyone* already KNOWS what I was 'close' to saying? hehehe (C'mon...let's face it...not everyone can be as 'lucky' as your DH when it comes to MILs! :-D)

~julie~

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I sometimes play Euchre, but I usually play Canasta.

I play at Pogo (www.pogo.com)

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

creadman...I'll have to check out the pogo site. I'd read read about it before but completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! (I've played *more* than my share of Canasta, too. As I recall, I was pretty good at it, too. :-D)

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.