Tomato plants in compost pile?

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have heard that you should not put tomatoes or tomato plants in a compost pile because they can carry viruses that are harmful to other plants. Is this true?

I was even told that I should not plant raspberries or blackberries in an area where tomatoes had been planted within 3 years.

I had great intentions with my composter this year, but other things got in the way. I am a REAL newcomer to the compost world.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't put tomato plants in my pile simply because they could spread verticilium or fusarium wilt. I don't think my pile gets hot enough to kill off those fungi.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I put tomatos in mine because I don't use it for a long long time because I use fresh horse manure in the compost and so I age it over two years before I use it. Maybe I should not but problem this year was lack of rain not fungus

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I put tomatoes in my pile and for the past two years I've had beautiful cherry tomatoes!!! They always volunteer. Probably next year I'm gonna use that dirt, and I hope it doesn't have disease in it...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.