Canna Kentucky copperhead.

Louisville, KY

This is one of those cannas I think only certain people will like. Its tall about 8 to 9 ft tall grower with small to mid size blooms. The blooms turn from orange to pink with age. It blooms quite a bit and usually has both flower colors on the same brackets. The flowers are selfcleaning. This is a plant for the back of the display with large leaves of a dark copper like color. Some leaves were around 3 ft long and about 12 inches wide.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2005 10:21 PM

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

pics of leaves

Louisville, KY

leaves

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

New leaf

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

flowers

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Definitly not for the faint oof heart! Very nice form on it. It will stand out well in the back of any bed especially with the pretty colored foliage.

I guess it is my personal like, but I really love flowers that have nice variations to them. Keep things from getting too monotone.

Very nice! Keep it up!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty, Brian.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Huge and gorgeous! Didn't know cannas could get so tall. Received a couple 'normal' cannas with green leaves and salmon colored blossoms from a DGer. And selfcleaning flowers? Too cool!

Boldly asking...would you be willing to trade or SASE for corms of your beautiful Canna Kentucky copperhead? My front 'hedge' was here when we moved in more than 20 years ago and it is about worn out. I'm trying to think creatively about it's replacement and don't want another hedge that has to be trimmed. I planted 4 tiger grass clumps as a start last spring and they aren't nearly tall enough at only 3' tall. Would love to add Canna Kentucky copperhead as the tall part of the road screening formerly known as 'hedge'.
:)

Just saw your other canna threads and realize you are in business with your cannas so I respectfully withdraw my question regarding a trade. Since I don't get up Kentucky way...hope some of these filter down Florida way so I can buy some!! Keep it up!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2005 6:59 AM

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Those would look really nice next to those red ones (cant remember the name) that get so tall. I have to rearrange my cannas because the red ones with similar foliage to yours are about ten feet tall.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the way the flower stem swoops forward like this one appears to, is there a term that I can user for this characteristic of canner bloom for future reference? Rita

Louisville, KY

I have never really found a certain word for describing this behavor. Though it is seen in some cannas and not in others.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.