Winter container seed sowing

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I can use my brain and figure out how to do it, I suppose, but I just know there are some of you out there that do this and will share your expertise with those of us who haven't, and want to. What is the time frame? Which seeds do well? What all do I need to do?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Kylee...I love the winter seed sowing method! And thanks for starting this thread.

First of all, I started prepping (washing/cutting/putting drain and air holes) the containers as soon as I started collecting them in December. I filled the containers and planted the seeds beginning the first of January. I just did a few a day. And that's what I liked best. There was plenty of time to get it all done before the first of March.

I had no idea which seeds would work for me using the WS method, so I did a search here and on Google and learned that anything that will self-seed in your area is a good starting place. Then you go to the hardiest annuals, and then (obviously) the perennial seeds.

As for the materials...
containers I found that gallon and half gallon milk jugs cut in half just below the handle worked the best for me. I tried just about everything (as you can tell from my pics) I could get my hands on. And you *could* use anything that has a cover or can be covered.

Soil I re-used ~gasp~ potting soil from my outside hanging baskets and pots...I was really into saving money. :-D But it *did* work with only minor set backs. I think keeping the reused soil properly moist was the biggest one I had followed by having weed seeds germinate. LOL This year, I'll buy seedling mix to be a little more on the safe side

Disclaimer here ----->> My Method...not necessarily the proper one, mind you. I filled the containers with at least 3" of damp soil, planted the seeds at the depth recommended on the pak or listed in the database I found on the web ( http://tomclothier.hort.net/ ), covered the seeds with soil if it was needed...then used a spray bottle to moisten the surface. Put the cover on...put the containers in a laundry basket...plopped the baskets into the snow amd waited.

I started seeing germination of some seeds as early as mid-March...but the majority stayed tucked in their beds until the middle to end of April.

By the first of May, I put the containers into the GH units where I could better observe and care for them while I was taking care of the cuttings and other seedlings I'd started in the house.

I planted somewhere in the area of 150 containers...I made a few mistakes with certain seed varieties...but, overall, it was an overwhelming success!

And I did discover a few things that usually aren't taken noticed of in the instructions I've read. Most of all...the way that you put the tops of the bottles back onto the containers. I found that if I made sure the upper part of the bottle or jug was INSIDE or mostly inside the bottom of the container, they kept their moisture better. I had some containers that I really had to get creative with in order to accomplish that self-watering condensation action...but eventually I got everything to cooperate with me.

Hope this helped...and I hope I haven't given you any *bad* advice (other than the reused potting soil...LOL)

~julie~

This message was edited Oct 27, 2005 9:37 AM

Thumbnail by julie88
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oooops! WHen I looked at the picture, I remembered that I'd forgotten to add one IMPORTANT piece of my method.
LABEL LABEL LABEL!!!! I numbered every container with a permanent marker...AND made labels for the inside (pieces of mini blinds written on with paint markers) and recorded each container in a notebook as I went along.

I took me through the end of February to get it all done...but what better way to spend a BORING winter? :D

~julie~

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Julie, I'm going to be asking you a bunch of questions about this later, but I am out of time right now. I just wanted to let you know I'm reading every word, lol!

Blandinsville, IL(Zone 5a)

I use the the rubbermaid disposable storage containers that I've collected over the last several years. and can reuse them year after year. put holes in the lids, holes in the bottom, wet the soil and then sow the seeds. I then put them outside and let mother nature do her thing. I use this size because it is easy for me to just cut the hunk-of-seedling size I want to plant.

For using used soil, first boil water and pour over the soil. This will kill any weed-seeds that are in the soil and then let cool and fill the containers, and sow my seeds.

I start the day after xmas and do a little each day or week. I write on the container a number and put the number and what I planted in a journal. but don't do like I did and after a couple years thow away your key, because now I have plants out in the back that I don't know the name but they are marked with a number. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful, the lady that helped with it is great, and very imformative. Of course, it is on that other site.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

Annie

This message was edited Oct 27, 2005 11:43 AM

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Annie...I found out about the boiling water 'sterilization' method just after I'd already used the weed infested potting soil. LOL And I sure do know what you're talking about when you say "KEEP the KEY". IF it hadn't been for my notebook, I never could have deciphered and matched the plant with the container number. Some of my interior markers faded, (not the ones I used the paint marker) and I could read the names.

I think that link you added in your post is the same place I got most of my info last season. If so...it's a good one.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Gayle....I know...you're working on the self-service invention again. LOL

~julie~

Julie,

I belong to that other site also, and was just amazed at how it worked the first year I did it. Every year I say I'm not going to as many, but you know how that goes. LOL

This year I was kinda lazy and didn't collect as much seed as I have in the past. butt.........lord knows I've got much more than I can use. I need to post some packages for sase here in a few weeks for others that might be just starting out.

I guess I can post on here,for everyone in the UMW. If not I am sure they will let me know.

Annie

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, Boy, you guys, this is one of the topics I presented to the MG's.

I winter sow way too much, telling myself I must cut down this year, too many seedlings I still end up planting them late into the fall.

I have pictures too, but I'm at work and need to earn my keep! Julie has done a good job on the description.

I too have re-used my soil, sometimes I use ordinary garden soil in the bottom for weight and moisture retention, and only use the "good stuff" for the top few inches.

I have graduated to only using milk jugs ( I have my supply all ready and waiting!) for the uniformity of it, and I leave the covers off to let more rain/snow enter the container.

I also work alot with mini-blind tags. I take a little more time planting and insert the mini-blind tag right into the soil. Great instant identifier, and also, once you set out seedlings, you have the tag already made.

If I can help with any other things, ask away. The above mentioned link is great, also www.wintersown.org

My eyes are open for new tricks!!! Legit

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Annie PLEASE post those packets HERE before you put them ANYWHERE else. (There she goes again! Just can't julie88 from begging when it comes to SEEDS!!! LOL)

Legit...I'll have to take some pics of the way I cut my milk jugs and put the drainage and air holes in them. I have a special trick I use so I can keep the covers on and still have the benefit of melting snow and rain. I firmly believe in using the covers in my WS stuff...I'm NOT the best at 'watering' in freezing weather...WAY too far to carry all the water needed. :-D

~julie~

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

aaawww, another "thing" to get into,,,,I Will have to try it and would LOVE some of your healthy, wonderful, fantastic, sure to be beautiful (enough butter???) seeds.

ooohhhh Annie,,,just let me know what kind of envi u want,,,,I'll get it out right away.

Kelly

Forgot,,,,, plump and lovely,,,,,lol

This message was edited Oct 27, 2005 1:30 PM

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I also have way more seeds for wintersowing than I will ever use, so before you guys go too far looking for seeds, see me. I would be interested in some I don't have also!! Legit

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I did it for two years, but prefer starting inside under lights - I have tons of room and I can gaze at them several times a day without freezing my hinny off. But maybe I'll do a jug or two this year for old times sake!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ah gee, Sarv...are you sure you want to do that? You're the one who doesn't get your cannas planted soon enough...what on earth would you do with THAT many seedling. LOL & LOL (j/k)

~julie~
(Ducking and running for the door! OUCH! that hurt! :-D)

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey Whoa!!! Sarv PUT DOWN that frozen oreo!! NOW!!!

Why doesn't someone start up a thread where we can list the seeds we have that we want to trade or SASE? I defintely want a crack ot the ones already offered in this thread. AND I have some extras of a few things I'm more than willing to share...like DOES ANYONE NEED NICOTIANA SYLVESTRIS??? :-D I think I have nearly a pound of seed. hehehe (maybe not quite *that* much! But there's a LOT more seed than I'll ever be able to use).

I have loads of canna seed, Arctotis...coneflower...and a lot of things I can't even remember right now.

~juile~
(I'll be watching for a WS seed trading thread - "Get er done!")

Well, my seeds are nothing special, but I enjoyed winter sowing them.

IN grasses I have extra of these:

Pampas Grass
Black seeded Moudry Grass.

Ohther seeds include
Yellow prairie Cone flower
Purple Coneflower
White Cleome
Purple Cleome
Marigolds
Tall pink zinnia
Pale Pink Holly HOcks
Black Holly Hocks
An assortment of mixed Rudabeckia
Could be:
Iris Eyes
Indian Summer
Hyssop
Globe thistle

Kelly,

If you send me back my yellow bubble envie I will just send some out to you. I had to buy the bubble envies to send for the Castor seeds from 9 kitty mom, and I bought a few extra in case I wanted to do some trading. (just call me cheap)

Annie

P.S. I always try to help out a fellow hosta addict. :O) :O)

This message was edited Oct 27, 2005 5:14 PM

Julie,

If you want some of the seeds above just send me a bubble evie with 49 cents in postage.

My address is in the address exchange, I know I have enough collected right now for 3-4 people.

Annie

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Annie...put me down for one of those packets. Especially the grass seeds and the Rudbeckia. Thanks...I'll try to remember to get that SASBE out tomorrow. (I'll send a label to attach to the same envelope I send to you.)

Thanks a million!

~julie~

Juie,

Glad to share!

Annie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Annie,

Thanks so much,,,not cheap, frugal. LOL I'll get it back in the mail right away.

Kelly

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Julie, did I miss your "special" way of cutting milk jugs??? Pictures please!! Legit

Here are some of mine.
I find it best to put the jugs directly on the ground so you can take advantage of the natural moisture. BTW, the open ones are from the previous year, when dealing with Peonies, trees, shrubs, clematis, you often don't get germination the first year, and these I keep over, often I am rewarded the following season with seedlings.

The tubs are me saving the soil mix for next year, when it's outside it doesn't matter if it's sterile. Weed seeds bother some, but it just sharpens your seedling identification when you need to decide what to pull and what to keep!!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2005 5:44 AM

Thumbnail by Legit
Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

BTW, I did start a thread on winter sown exchange, but not too much activity. Anyone want clematis tangutica, small yellow bells, I have seed blowing away in the wind I'd love to capture and share. They winter sow wonderfully. Legit

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Legit...that's quite a set up you have for your WSing. Do you leave the caps on the tops until spring or do you even use them at all?

(I'll be into the WS seed exchange a little later after I've rummaged through my seeds to see what I have to offer.)

~julie~

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Bumping this thread, so we are all prepared this year!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

good idea

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It is time to start saving those containers. Don't forget the seeds to tradeas well.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have about 30 containers already

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ROFLOL,,,I was Just thinking the same thing today. I'm going to go back to a few other threads we had last year also

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL, you guys are way ahead of me, I am still trying to get planted what I winter-sowed last year. Every year I tell myself I am not going to do as many, yeah, right! Legit

Thumbnail by Legit
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Is that what you have to plant yet? I onlyhave 8 containers left, yada yada.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

ok - can't help myself...I planted everything out! [she said standing tall and proud]

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

C'mon you guys, don't pick on me, I'll get them in before frost!! My biggest problem is lack of space. I grow for my spring plant sales, and have plenty to skip a year!! Next year I am moving into the horse arena, (nice fenced in space, where I kids used to practice for shows) and I'm actually thinking of getting a nursery license. Legit

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Legit,

I'll take some off your hands,,,Send em on this way,,,,LOL

The move will be great,,,give you more room.

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.