pretty in pink

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

When this ragoon creeper first started blooming, I was not impressed because the blooms are small. However, it has now been blooming for over a month and the vine is full of blooms. Much prettier now.

Thumbnail by rylaff
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

That is coral vine(antigonon leptopus). They form a tuber and are hardy perennials in your zone.
Sorry, but rangoon creeper is a different vine...
;0)
-T

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oooops, you are so right.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hey Lisa and Taylor!

How do you get a rangoon creeper to bloom? Will it bloom in a pot, and can I leave it in the ground in zone 8a if I mulch really heavily?

Lisa, my antigonon leptopus has put on a great show this summer and fall. I think they get better as they get older. 'Got a white one, too, but it must be too small to bloom yet. 'Hoping for next summer.

Kay

Frederick, MD(Zone 7b)

I thought those flowers looked like the Coral Vine's :-) I've only had them growing for 2 years, but a nearby cottage has had them established for many many years- look how high up they grow!! They are now one of my favorite vines :-)
Blessings,
Carolyn

Thumbnail by cj5404az
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow, how lovely.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

They grow everywhere, in mass, in Tampa woods and along roadsides - awesome beauty!

cj-
that cottage looks great! ...I wonder why only one side of the front fence is covered with vine, and the other is completely bare???

...all that wasted vine space, LOL!!

Kay-
I don't have a rangoon creeper...have gotten cuttings before, but never got one to strike..
-T

We have been growing a pink coral vine, hardy in Atlanta for two years now! It has been very exciting. Not a huge amount of bloom, but it's gorgeous on our church arbor.
Just purchased seed for a white, and am also getting seed for a PURPLE coral vine.
Mulching well and placing a rock over the tuber seems to be the trick to hold in warmth here!

girlgroupgirl

Where in the world did you see PURPLE coral vine seeds? That has me dubious, but would love to see proof.
Purple would be gorgeous...
-T

Frederick, MD(Zone 7b)

Gosh, I'd LOVE to find PURPLE coral vine seeds!! Never knew there was such a thing.

Seedpicker- that cottage has the vine growing over an arch and it may eventually make it to the other side of that fence . The owner has a bunch of potted plants there on that side and maybe he wants them visible for most of the summer. I understand totally what you mean about wasted fence space, tho!!
blessings,
Carolyn

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

My Rangoon Creeper is creeping over everything in my plant room, but no blooms and it is going on three years old, it has gotten so big I cannot get far enough away in my room to get a full picture, as you can see it is going over to the lamp.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Whoa....I love that lamp next to the Rangoon. I think I mentioned before... a bit of hibiscus fertilizer will get your Rangoon to bloom. Put a few granules in the pot and scratch into the soil. Rj

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

rjuddharrison, thank you for that info, as for the lamp it is wrought iron and so heavy I can hardly lift it, made for patio inside, or out.
If this plant keeps going I may have to cut it down some it is reaching out everywhere

Mc Call Creek, MS

Is hibiscus fertilizer labeled as such? Do you know what the N-P-K numbers on it are?

'Was wondering if I might have something similar already lying around here somewhere.

Also, what time of year does Rangoon Creeper bloom? If I let it die back for the winter will it bloom next spring?

Thanks for any help!

Kay

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Lisa very pretty coral vine. Taylor a tuber.....oooh....lol. kareoke, I luv your lamp! Now if you have to cut back your Rangoon Creeper.....it's telling you something. Root cuttings for the rest of us.
;) Donna

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Perenialgirl if someone tells me hot to do that I would although all the shoots are coming from one small stem so the cuttings would be very thin, I guess I could cut off one piece and try rooting it, does it root in water?

This message was edited Nov 9, 2005 8:42 AM

Mc Call Creek, MS

kareoke, I'm trying to root it, too. I've tried several times before with no luck. This time I've got it in a clear plastic covered file box with perlite in the bottom. There is water in the lower part of the perlite and a bubbler. It's been in there a couple of weeks now, and there are not roots, but it appears to still be alive. If I have any success, I'll let you know.

Kay

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kay, I hate to cut it off if it will not root.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.