SAD Mock Orange

Honokaa, HI

I have mock orange shrubs bordering our lot. They were here when we purchased the house. In the shade they are lovely but even partial sun seems to turn them bright yellow. I have tried fertilizer and a drip hose when it is dry but we tend to get plenty of rain here. We are in zone 9 Hawaii and barely break 85 degrees so it doesn't seem as though heat is a problem. Any ideas before I rip them out?

San Jose, CA

There is a variety of mock orange that is yellow, I believe. Is it possible that yellow is its natural color?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76407/index.html

I'd be curious to see what the plant looks like, since I was thinking of putting one of the yellow ones in. Does it look good in shade, or like a green plant that lost its color?

Honokaa, HI

They are deep glossy green in the shade and turn to yellow in the sun. They are def. not the yellow type as the plants also are doing poorly. Thanks though!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Man, this is curious. I haven't a clue, but want to sign on as very, very curious. Mine don't do this. I wonder if the leaves in the sun are on older canes, which would mean a major pruning in the winter, leaving only new growth. They generally like full sun. Hm? Do they bloom in both shade and sun? Is the yellow healthy-looking?

Peter

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

I almost killed one by overwatering one year... The nursery man said they liked it drier... Mine was turning brownish tho, not yellow. It is back to healthy this year...

San Jose, CA

I was just reading a book on xeriscaping. It suggested Mock Oranges as a good plant for dryish shade. Even though the temps in Hawaii do net get too high, the sun at that latititude may be too strong perhaps.

I'm in Zone 9 California and have noticed that many of the plants that the database lists as taking full sun would not be able to take full sun here.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I think lilystorm is on it.

Honokaa, HI

lilystorm...that must be it. So I will just leave them in the shade and replace them where they are dying in the sun.
Mahalo!

San Jose, CA

You're welcome. I hope it works!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.