Amaryllis bulb question

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

I had a brain fart sometime in the past and apparently ordered some high priced amaryllis bulbs thru Dutch Gardens. The bulbs came the other day sorta unexpectedly. Anyways, they are as big as baseballs. Some of the literature with the bulbs suggest that these are one time bloomers and then pretty much thrown away. Is this a peculiarity of dutch bulbs because of their size? The question I guess is if once they bloom is it worth keeping them around and hope they might bloom next season? Or is it possible to do the bulb division deal where bulb is cut into separate chunks and re grown as new bulblets? Any ideas or thoughts?

JIM

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jim, Amaryllis bulbs can live for decades. I have one that's 15 years old.
My system is to plant it in new soil on January first and put in the sunny window, keep it moist but not wet.
Enjoy the flowers around Valentines Day and put it outdoors once the weather permits. I keep them in the pot in a sunny spot until the nights get too cool. Then I bring it into the basement for the winter rest, no water.
If there are still green leaves on it by Halloween, I cut them off.
The cycle starts all over on New Years day. Be careful when you first put it outdoors, they can get sun burned just like you, go easy for a week or so. They also don't mind being a bit pot bound.
In Florida you may be able to keep it outdoors year round but remember that they must rest for at least 6 -8 weeks.
Andy P

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

As you probably know, lots of people buy amaryllises in the kits to force them to bloom indoors. I don't. I plant them directly outside, with 1/3 of the bulb stickup above ground and wait for them to bloom in April or so. They are perennials for me, and I'm in a slightly cooler area, so I would say they're perennials for you too. I just saw some at walmart that were huge, as big as baseballs. I think bulbs that size produce 2 stalks, which is nice because you get a bunch of flowers out of the one bulb.

Don't know the proper way to divide. Hopefully somebody will post an answer.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jim, Do Not cut the bulb, it may make little bulbletts that you can plant when you re-pot next time. The little guys will bloom in 3 or 4 years.
Andy P

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi All...

Thnx for all the inputs. I have had amaryllis for a long time but never thought much about how long they would last. They've always been the cheapos and seem to keep coming up every year. The remark I read about "throwing them away" sorta caught me off guard. I figgered it was missing a gene because of it being a hybrid from holland. silly me...I know the dutch can be very controlling on their bulbs...Any chance these type amaryllis are sterile...won't produce seeds?

I read about the "slice and dice" of amaryllis bulbs on the web on one of the sites on bulb reproduction. Says its a very well used procedure with commercial growers. Usually takes about 2 years or so to get blooming plants.
Thats my story and I am sticking with it...haha

JIM

PS I keep all my bulbs, iris, lily, amaryllis in separate 10" clay pots. A bit more work but keeps everyone happy and I can control what goes in and comes out. Besides, this sand down here sux.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2005 8:17 PM

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a hardy amaryllis, atleast that's what I've always heard it called. It's always been planted outside in various areas in my yard. It is a tough-as-nails plant here. It needs to be moved and divided so I can take babies to a RU. How do I do this? The RU is Nov 11. Do I dig them now and take them bareroot (easiest for me) or do they have to be planted right away?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.