watering peonies in winter

Corte Madera, CA

this is the first time my peonies will lose their foliage and sleep for the winter. at the moment, the leaves are still pretty green on most plants, but i see some that are starting to die. i see EYES and i'm thrilled.

how do i take care of them now? fertilizer needs?

we usually have a very wet winter here in the san francisco bay area. thank you for your time.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

Eureka! I found it. Below is from an e-mail Al (Calistoga) sent me when I asked him about peonies.

"Next winter when the foliage yellows it should be be cut down to about 6 inches. You should be able to see the buds for next years bloom all through the winter. If they get buried under soil the blanket of soil could be enough to keep down the winter chill needed for next years bloom. The reason for leaving the 6 inch stems through the winter is to protect the buds from being broken off during the time they are exposed."

--- Al

EYES from another plant.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'll have some new peonies going in the spring next year Moonglow. I'm excited, this is the first year that I'll have such an added amount of varieties. Got a few blooms last year, if I could only get at least 3 blooms per bush next year, I'll consider it a well done start. I have to go back and look up the height of each one again before I put them in the ground, staging their display right.

Corte Madera, CA

exciting indeed, kathy. wishing you well on those beauties!

i didn't get to remove mine from pots. if they continue to do well in their containers, the new ones i'll add will be planted in pretty planters and not these black nursery liners i'm using now. lol.

i'll mark my peonies better, too. now i have no clue which is which unless they bloom. they do display beautiful leaves, and i like that a lot also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.