New to Daturas

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi. I have never had any daturas till now. I saw a double purple on ebay and just HAD to have the seed. They have just sprouted in less than 2 weeks. I would love to know what everyones favorite thing about daturas is?

Corte Madera, CA

welcome to what can become an addiction! =)

favorite things about daturas? fragrance and beauty!

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

lavenderwolf, welcome to the world of Daturas!

I agree, fragrance and beauty. I tend to think that the large whites are most striking, but all Daturas have their charm. There is nothing like seeing a bush with a dozen blooms opening in the evening. Stunning.

Erick

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I can't wait to start collecting seeds for spring!

Hi Lavenderwolf,
I just started a few a couple days ago for the first time. How did you plant yours? Lights on? How deep? Heat mat? I can't wait for little green to start showing.

Looks at the brugmansia's also. It's addicting.

Crystal

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

HI crystal.

I just put them in good potting soil about 1/4 inch deep, under lights, and made sure they were moist. It must have been luck they sprouted so soon. I did use a heat mat on some cooler nights. I planted 10/11 and all have sprouted. A few have already been transplanted.
Good Luck!

Brandy

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Brandy, aren't you afraid that they will be too big to manage indoors by spring? Or are you growing them out in a greenhouse?

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Pdkrones,
My dh just finished a greenhouse for me. So that is where they will live. Running out of room is a worry though. This is the first time I have grown anything but veggies from seed. I have started a Ton of stuff. My gh is 10x12. I am not sure how much plants grow in a gh through the winter. So far I have flats of herbs, annuals, and perennials. And will start veggies later. I will sell them (hopefuly). This year is my learning year. lol Im hoping I dont make too many mistakes.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

They will grow according to conditions you provide. If it is good and warm, the seed will sprout and grow well. Only problem may be leggy plants due to reduced light. I'm no pro, but I try to keep things at a slow growing rate, and take care not to over- or under-water. Minimal fertilization until late winter. Greenhouse space can go in a hurry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.