I am so dissapointed maybe you can help with ID...

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

This is the first summer I've really tried to grow a few dahlias and we've had wayyyyy to much rain. I received these 2 from a Daves member in early spring...I've wait and hoped for a bloom all summer..now it seems they may be labeled incorrectly.

This one was supposed to be Poeme....this bloom is very faded..you can see the fresh bloom color in the bud behind...

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

This is supposed to be Cafe au Lait but I dont think so...

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I think that Poeme is pretty close to another image I found and pretty just the way it is. Of course the buds will always show more concentrated color in the paler flowers, so I'm not sure why you're disappointed. Colors can vary with sun exposure, nutrients the plant gets, etc. Maybe your soggy weather had something to do with fewer, paler flowers?

http://www.verwer-dahlias.nl/pictures/classic/poeme4.htm

As for Cafe` Au Lait- the color and shape looks correct but sometimes late in the season the flowers revert to single, rather than more appealing double status. Several of mine are doing that now, including Cafe Au Lait.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Well..thank you...and maybe they are okay. They are beautiful but I've had a run of getting plants in trade that are labeled incorrectly. Its disappointing to wait for months for something to bloom and then it turn out to be unknown...even if beautiful :)

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

charlotteda-was wondering from the first picture- but couldn't exactly tell..were these growing in pots, or in the ground? sometimes dahlias growing in pots just don't bloom as well as in the ground- thought that might be one of the reasons, but there are all sorts of possible reasons. maybe next year they'll do a lot better- btw, the second picture looks like it could be cafe au lait to me......not familar with poeme, though.....

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes...both of these were very small tubers when I got them in the spring..so they were blooming for the first time this week...then of course we had a killing frost this morning :(

Maybe their ID is correct...the cafe au lait one does have some pink coloring on the back part of the bloom..

it is interesting how weather and growing conditions can vary the bloom.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

you had frost this morning? my folks in philadelphia sound warmer than you...climate zones are strange, and unpredictable sometimes, i guess- it's so sad when that frost comes....

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes...we had MAJOR frost this morning....its looks so sad outside today with all the blackened foliage ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.