Help!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I've been trying to dig up some of my Asiatic Lilies (Royal Sunset, we think), but I'm not finding any bulbs. I have rooted stems ...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...and eyes. Will they grow from these, or di I need to keep digging? I'm afraid of injuring them.

I'd sure appreciate some advice!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And what's up with this? Are they babies growing or do I have something else growing in here???

Again - thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi, Sequee! Do you have Lily of the Valley?

As for those lily stems ~ did you dig down only that far, or did you dig 3 - 4 inches below the bottom of the stem and that was all you came up with?

This message was edited Oct 23, 2005 8:50 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ahha!!! Those derned LoV's are at it again! I swear, they can travel across the miles! Thanks - you nailed that one!

Nope - didn't dig down that far. I was afraid of harming something, so I gave up in search of wisdom! I will dig deeper next weekend!

Sure do appreciate your taking the time to answer my post!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep, that Lily of the Valley and I have a real love / hate relationship.

When digging lily bulbs I use a full size shovel since I don't have a fork. I start about 6 inches away from the stem and sink the blade all the way to the top, then heave - ho! I like to bring up a whole chunk of dirt with it so I don't risk loosing any bulblets.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I thought I got rid of the LoV, but each year more pop up...and in the strangest places. My favorites, of course, are the ones that are growing between the sidewalk panels - lovely, JUST lovely!

Thanks for the tip!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Did you ever find your bulbs?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Between all the rain we've had and raking leaves, I've been too busy to get out there and dig deep!!! I did get all of my Elephant Ears, Border Dahlias, Gingers and Gingerlilies up, though, and all but the Dahlias are potted up in the sunroom. Also took the time to cut back the brugs and put them to bed for the winter. The peppers and eggplants are all dug up and potted and set up in the mini-greenhouse, and all of the tomatoes are picked and wrapped for inside ripening. Whew! Good thing the day lilies can stay out - don't know if I'd ever find them befor the first frost sets in!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sounds like you've been plenty busy. The lilies will patiently wait for you.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good thing! We're expecting a hard fronst Thu pm/Fri am, so i need to get everything perishable up and tucked safely away. It would be nice to get a layer of fertilizer/weed killer applied, too, but I don't know where I'll find the time! Are you guys already into the freeze zone?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

We've already had a couple of freezes, but then forecast for tomorrow is 78°. Go figure.....

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

EXCUSE ME??? 78 degrees in Nebraska, 58 degrees in New Your? What's up with that??

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we are suppose to hit 70 on thursday here and have a mild week/end!

indian summer maybe??? it can stay all yr!!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Sequee. You wouldn't be the first person I've shocked / confused with one of our Midwest weather reports. The only thing consistent about it is that it's inconsistent!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! My boss and I are jockeying for days off - thank heavens he's a hunter and prefers the brrrrr cold am's. I just want to be able to work outside without catching a chill. I always know I'm in trouble when I'm diligently working away and I look over any my doggies is shivering away - like, "Duh, human! It's a good day to go INSIDE!"

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

"Work outside without catching a chill"....... Is that asking too much?? I think not. :)

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

In the summer my stargazer I planted 3 years ago had a baby - I also noticed 3 big pods, I thought they were buds but never bloomed - I decided to move it next to my hardy hibiscus (moon river II). I dug up the largest bulb I've ever seen - I was too afraid to divide it so I left it but left enough space for it to shoot up more babies - to my surprise two days ago the 3 pods opened up I saw what I would believe to be seeds. !!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!! Am I wrong? I hope not, since it's raining today I cut all 3 pods but I'm afraid to touch them - If they are really seeds - any tips would be appreciated. They smell so good in the summer.

* how to save them
* when to pot them
* anything at all

Thanks for any reply on this.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my bulbs were inches below the rooted growth-i planted the bulbs and the rooted stems-hoping for lots of plants next yr

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Rose mallow-- let your seed pods dry indoors for several days (until crispy, not soggy), then empty into a clear plate/dish whatever you can see through. Position a light (I use a lamp) under the plate so you can see THROUGH the seeds and discard any that don't have an "embryo" in them. The embryo looks like a little line in the seed. Oriental lily seeds need 2-3 months warm temp. then 2-3 months cold temp. I just use sandwich bags with some holes poked in the bottom and dampened soiless seed starting mix. After a couple of months warm I put the bag in the fridge for the cooling period. Good seeds should germinate a couple of weeks after removal.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That's fascinating! Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.