trellis/pergola suggestions

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i am going to build a trellis or pergola and am interested in suggestions. does anyone have any pictures of a nice trellis or pergola they would like to share? i will be putting chalice vine or rangoon creeper on it.
thanks in advance cass

Dover, NJ

Hello candela,

A little late on the reply, but here is a pic of a small trellis I built this summer. I was going to make a circular top for it, but never got around to it. The wheels are very handy for moving the whole thing around to different patios or sides of the house. The cardinal climber vine is looking scraggly since our night time temps have been dropping below 50 degrees, but it is still blooming. It took a beating during Katrina too! After the first freeze, I'll remove the dead vine, and can plant something different next year if I want.

I spent a lot of time on-line looking at various trellis plans. I browsed a lot of books at Home Depot too!

Mark

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

that is a great idea with the wheels. i love it. did you make that. very impressive. actually something like that would be perfect because i want to put it in front of my pool pump/ ac. if it is on castors i could move it to access. thank you.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Here are pictures of the pergola that my DH and my dad put up four years ago...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view (taken in 2004)...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

kbaumie... I love your pergola! And I love that blue pot in the first picture! May I ask where you got that?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh boy, I just have to post this picture of that trellis area and how it's changed since then...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view. I just made this area bigger this fall, although it was already bigger than you see in the very first picture of the area.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Blue pot? If you're referring to the thing below the set of windows, it's black, and it's a fountain. My grandma gave it to us. She got it at a local nursery.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok thank you kbaumie. Sorry....guess I am color blind!! It is really a neat shape!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great ideas everyone!
:) Donna

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Marcy. That fountain is now in the corner of the patio area. Where it is located in the picture is covered with clematis that vines all over fishing line strung between old chain link fence posts.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

kbaumle,
beautiful, i love the fountain. thanks for the inspiration

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

kbaumle,
Great photos! I miss my pergola with the wisteria growing, but moved and doing different things. Gotta' ask you.........noticed the copper firepit in the first pix. I'm getting ready to buy one (Christmas present to myself) and I've looked at that kind and a one that is taller and shaped a little more like a chiminea and trying to decide. Can you use your firepit under the pergola? Or is it too close where it could cause damage to pergola/wisteria? I also love the fountain.

Candela, don't know if you've done something around your pool pump yet, but I've seen a vinyl trellis that is hinged (can be gotten in 2 pieces or 3 pieces) to go by air handlers, trash cans and pool pumps. They're rather portable as they just stick in the ground, but they're also fairly sturdy. I saw them at Sam's Club this summer and online at a couple of places. Just food for thought.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We have used the fire pit under there, but I don't know that it is a good idea. We noticed the trumpet vine was 'dancing' in the heat waves, but it didn't seem to hurt it either. We have it in a different location now that's more open above it. I have wisteria growing up on the pergola, too. It just started taking off this summer, after two years. I imagine next summer, between the trumpet vine and the wisteria, that the pergola will be pretty much covered. :-)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

This is a side view of the pergola/ramada I built to support wisteria, grapes and morning glories. It is constructed of rough sawn douglas fir. This picture was taken last winter as all the newly planted vines had yet to leat out and begin climbing. The cement slab under the structure will receive terra cotta tile when I finish with a few dozen other projects. The lamps are blown glass and there is a weatherproof fan that functions to keep smoke out of our eyes as we barbeque on the grill (also unfinished...lol). I used half-lap joinery so that the structure didn't look like stacked wood and installed a mist system on it so that we may sit out there comfortably during our mercilessly hot summers.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

A closer view of the wood joinery and the corbel treatments cut into the ends of the 2x6's. You can see the grapes beginning to climb up the 6x6 posts.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Another view with the wisteria starting to climb and the grapes in the foreground

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

midsummer and the wisteria are climbing. The hope is that they will, along with the grapes, provide cool shade for this sitting area.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

night time

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow that pic gives me a headache, but it does kind of show the lighting. Have a couple of cocktails then reopen the link. It will look great then....lol. Here's a pic of the structure taken today. The vines have begun to spread over the top and will soon have gone deciduous allowing light through during the winter. We figure next spring and summer should have wonderful shade and color....and grapes!

Thumbnail by drdon
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

drdon, that is incredible with all the elements fire, water, air. that lamp is gorgeous.
thanks for sharing

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

drdon -- there's only one word.........WOW! And what do you do in your spare time? LOL. I know the work that goes into all that so I truly appreciate your works of art. So what time did you say you wanted us there for the cocktails and cookout?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

thank you for your kind words. Lol@ spare time...I work harder now as a retired person than I ever did at work...lol.

best to all,
don

A pic of one of the mosaic lamps on the fence you see in the background lit up at night. Eventually I'd like to espallier an apple or a pear onto the top rail of the fence. But that will happen after the tiling, barbeque, and all the other wacky projects are done.

Thumbnail by drdon
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Totally awesome, Don! Looks so inviting!
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.