will it recover

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought 3 small jap. maples this year. 2 did very well, the third one lost about 80% of its leaves but is not dead. I underestimated the amount of water it was getting and noticed improvement as soon as I corrected the situation. Will it get new leaves next year? It is kinda sad looking, the few leaves it has left have turned red. This one might be a crimson queen. Don't remember for sure.

thanks for your help

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Keep the moisture up and I think you will be surprised how resilient JP's can be. I had one that dried out, lost its leaves in July, remained leafless all summer, then leaved out the best kind the following spring. As long as the stems are alive, it will probably be the best kind.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you cut a twig and it's green then you are in pretty good shape. Your tree may be showing little red buds at the leaf joints. If you have any of these going on then you are almost surely OK. I have one that I got a bargain on and it's leaves are all fried but it's showing good signs of growth. You might want to give it some protek. You can buy it on line. Helps keep the cells from breaking and therefore getting leaf burn. Not a fertilizer which you probably don't want to do right now while it's stressed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.