sending wildflower seeds overseas- good deed or evil doer?

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

I have a question on the topic of indigenous plants. Or rather, non-indigenous plants...

I was planning to send a care package to some military friends serving in the Middle East, and mentioned to a coworker that I wanted to include a few packets of wildflower seeds. My coworker, however, told me that this was absolutely positively a terrible idea, contrary to the laws of nature and possibly contrary to the laws of international mail or import/export customs laws. She went on to say that I could disturb the natural ecosystems in place and cause generations of problems.

Honesty, I think perhaps she was blowing this a tad out of proportion to make her point, no? Is it really a big deal? I am not the type to always think things through; this really did not occur to me at all. Of course I would do some homework to see what kinds of plants would do well, but in my mind- I envisioned widflower seeds tossed along a road-side rest area or median, or in some barren field, bringing a breathtaking spring-time carpet of color.

So, am I the princess of all things beautiful? or a menace to society?!

Salem, MA

Kind of a surprising question coming from kudzu country, but you might be all right if you only send seeds for wildflowers native to the region where your friends are serving, such as poppies for the middle east.

As to how seriously you should take the whole question of invasive exotics, here's a good place to start:

http://www.invasive.org/

This message was edited Oct 23, 2005 10:34 AM

Wauconda, IL

I wouldn't do it because, inadvertently, you could send them something that will do for them what kudzu and water hyacinth has done for the south.

plus, it's illegal to send seeds or plants out of the the US, or send seeds or plants into the Us without the proper phytosanitary certification.

Your friend at work wasn't blowing anything out of proportion, either. There has been an excellent series on NPR about the economic and environmental impact of invasive species on the great lakes region.

Wauconda, IL

Ooops..duplicate post!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2005 1:14 PM

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

misskaffee,

I think your vision is lovely, but, unfortunately, your friend had a good point. The more I get to know about plants the more I understand accidential invasions. I've heard about kudzu; luckily I don't have to deal with it. Dandelions were even introduced into the Midwest from Europe, and now the US spends unimaginable $$$ trying to get rid of them.

Sending seeds of plants native to the area is great as long as you know the import/export rules.

Jody

misskaffee, you're certainly no menace to society because people just don't know until they ask. Our government spent in excess of 160 billion tax dollars trying to clean up this mess over here last year alone and the dollar amount to clean up for this year will most certainly be higher.

That's 160 billion tax dollars that I could think of far better ways to spend as in for education and the aging.

Dode, kudzu made it to Illinois and even though water hyacinth isn't currently capable of overwintering here in our zone... it's rapid rate of growth in just one season can completely blanket an entire pond or lake hence blocking sunlight to the bottom of the body of water which is death to native species of fish that hunt by sight. And then there is always the possibility... no probablility... that a cold water ecotype manifests itself of this beast and if it does, we're in just as much trouble as the southern states. How many mutations do you think if will take before water hyacinth mutates to that which can overwinter in our zone?

jasmer, those dandelions... I don't know which is worse. The dandelions or the myriad of chemicals homeowners use improperly to try to kill them that are leaching into our water supplies. Sheesh, and we wonder why it seems as if everybody and their brother is being diagnosed with cancer these days.

These exotic invasive species, whether introduced intentionally or accidentally, have become a major public health concern.

I wouldn't advise sending seeds of plants native to the area either, the same species that has grown elsewhere may have a slightly different genetic makeup to the local plant population and if you are into the sensitivity of eco-systems, an introduction of new genes, even though they are the same species, could pollute the local population and could lose that gene pool forever.

If you still want to send seeds, it might be worth seeing what plants already grow there with no problem that aren't part of the wild or escaped flora. The Middle East has been part of a vast and well trodden trade route from the UK shores, Africa to China for thousands of years, they've had influx of new plants throughout this time so some plant somewhere will be a well behaved little chap and stay where he's been put. This is not to discredit the information given by others above, it's all valid and good info and it's certainly something to think about if you want to send seeds abroad.

I agree with Jasmerr though, do check the rules and regs regarding imported plant material first, failing that, 'if in doubt, do nowt'.

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much for the awesome replies to my question!!
Happy to report that I did not send plants or seeds in the care package. From the research I've done since posting this, and considering your thoughtful responses - I do realize that it is not worth risking the potential issues.

Well, perhaps I should correct myself, I did send one "plant" -- a Homer Simpson chia head. They loved it. (praying that Homer Simpson Chia heads don't become invasive and take over the desert) (haha! that has the makings of a really bad horror movie!)

Anyhow, again, as always, I sincerely appreciate your input!!

Wauconda, IL

D'oh!

Took me a while, I'm a little slow. D'oh is what Homer Simpson says.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.