question

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

When we were high up on White Top Mountain in Virginia there were trees that people called Lash Horn Pines...Anyone know the botanical name of these. They were wind swept with stunted growth..short needles. Almost like a large bonsai.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

From Michigan, they look like Pinus rigida (pitch pine), but I can't quite be sure from here. ;o) If you misidentified the tree as a pine, Abies Fraser is sometimes referred to as lash horn as well.

Al

This message was edited Oct 22, 2005 10:02 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I googled it and also found that the lash horn was a common name for the frazer but it does not match. It also says that the frazer grows in low lands....this is at 5000 feet. and my guess also is that it is not a true pine. It has small cones not like the rigida.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

levilyla, I believe that tapla is correct in identifying your tree as Abies fraseri, actually a fir - that's the problem with common names. Dirr's manual indicates: "Native to the mountains of the southeast at altitudes of 3000-6000'." Link here I found when searching for 'Lash Horn Pine' http://www.ibiblio.org/botnet/flora/small/s-abies_sp.html

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

You might get more responses if you would use something more descriptive like "Lash Horn Pines" as your topic, instead of "question." (Many of us skip over such generic posts unless we're really bored.) Anyway, you probably saw either Fraser fir or red spruce. Both have short needles, small cones, and grow at high elevations that far south. If you had a close-up photo or a more detailed description it would be a big help.

Guy S.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks..I did not have a camera with me. I know that the cones were small (almost like a hemlock)...and the needles did not look like the frazers that you normally see because of the many years of wind and high altitude (I suppose).

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Fraser cones are not that small -- look up red spruce and see if that fits.

Guy S.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The cones look like it..I am going with Red Spruce.....thanks, Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.