My latest RESCUES!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

These jumped in my cart at Wal-mart today for 5 bucks a pop...or plant, I should say.....They will need a lot of TLC...but that's OK...that's what I'm here for.

1. Oncda. Charlesworthil "Mishima"

2. Phal. Belgium Pink

3. Phal. Unknown---but has a keiki

4.. Otps. Sun Jye Diamond

5. Phal Unknown------has keiki

6. Pol. Mystere Natsumi BM/JOGA

How'd I do, experts....I realize none of these are ever going to be prizes, but when they bloom, and that they will, it will bring joy to my heart.

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That is really great Hap! Congrats, I've never seen prices that good on Orchids, blooming or not! Have fun babying them back to health :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mary.....some people frown on taking "rejects", but for the price, how can I go wrong. No prize-makers but looooots of enjoyment for me. Cheaper than one ticket to a movie.....and I have it for years..

Hap

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

They don't look that bad. Our Walmart has orchids once a year if lucky and again, mostly phals. I think once they had some Dendrobiums, but never oncidium alliance or cattleya types

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

The spikes on the phals still look green for the most part so they might set new blooms quite quickly. Good luck!

If you are looking them up on the internet/google
1. Oncda. Charlesworthil "Mishima" is Oncda. Charlesworthii "Mishima"
4.. Otps. Sun Jye Diamond is Dtps. Sun Jye Diamond

Couldn't come up with anything for No. 6

Ken

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ken.....haven't even got that far....but here I go...hehehe

Todd, I can't believe you look at Wally World....Everything I have seen you post is so exotic...

Hap

I found #6
http://www.yomiko.co.jp/orchid/contents/flower00/ph_big/trophy/indx06.gif

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Hap, you must have me confused for someone else.....I never heard of Wally World!?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

aka-----------Wal-Mart..........heheheh

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Never knew they were known by that name.....you realize they are poised to take over the shopping world!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Funny you should mention this. I had just returned from Lowes where I did the same thing except I only brought home one. Phalaenopsis dtps.Taisuco Glory X Talsuco Glory. The plant looks quite healthy. Not bad for next to nothing.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

One question. The spike has a couple of what look like buds coming out. Do you think it will bloom again?

Thumbnail by rylaff
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looks like it will indeed! The new phal I got at a local supermarket doesn't look happy....suddenly the leaf edges are looking somewhat transparent and are becoming sunken in those areas. It looked perfect when I bought it. First time I've ever seen such a thing happen....I'm not impressed.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

rylaff.....it looks as though you may have gotten 2 for 1.....it looks like a keiki................another plant. I had two on my latest rescues....

Hap from the Sea..

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

How cool is that! Such a deal I got.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm still at sea.....from the little that my friends will tell me about my home I have no idea if I have any orchids left at all. I have a feeling that they are all in the bottom of my pool, or somewhere in the Bahamas....I think that I have lost everything.........................

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

Happy,

If they have made their way over here I promise I will take great care of them! They will add such colour to my collection.......lol!

Let us all know how everything is when you get home.....when do you get home anyways?

Lisa

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm finally back on-line.

All my rescues need help and then some.

About half, 35+ orchids had spent a week at the bottom of my pool and are in the process of turning black. I took them out of their growing medium and have them sitting in plastic pots. I could just cry.

One smashed pot and label was found in the front yard....Have no idea where the plant is.

All tags and labels, the few that I had are all gone.

Hap

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Happy_1

good to see you.

You don't have gnomes attacking you also do you?...lol. How did they get in the water? Dogs? Drunken pool guy?..lol

I think chlorine poisoning is a hard one to reverse, but I'm not the real expert here. Someone will chime in with some useful information.

best to you,
don

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HI drdon....

I kept them on polls that were attached to the pool screen enclosure. They got perfect sun, (shaded by the pool screening) and humidity from the pool and lake. I also HAD a mist system that I manually turned on when needed. They loved it.

When Wilma came the screening was history dumping the plants in the pool.

Time will tell, but I'm sure a lot are gone.

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hap, did any of them survive after a few weeks of TLC?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Still in Chicago with DD... I won't know until I get home. When I left, there were about 10 that were looking pretty bad and I am sure they did not get better in the past 6 days. lol So it will be tossing time when I get home. Thanks for asking. I don't know if I will ever be able to find out who is who.

Hap

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great bargains, Happy!
:) Donna

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Donna, read up a couple of posts.....I don't think too many are going to survive their swim....:(

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh dear, Happy. That's awful.
:( Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.