Acer pseudosieboldianum

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

For people in zone 4 and 5a where JP are difficult if not impossible, you should try A. pseudosieboldianum, a close relative to JP called the Korean Maple. The summer leaves are just green but like JP, the turn wonderful in autumn. This is mine today..it should get better in the next week or two.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

What a great plant. Obviously there's a bit of a chill in the air there, the color is marvelous.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Don, you must lurk everywhere on DG! Seems everytime I check out a forum, you appear! LOL! Good to see you have a wide interest in a variety of plants....I'm not the only obsessed one here!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Obsession, obsession? Who's got an obsession? Just because I spend grocery money on flowering plants or on mulch doesn't mean I have an obsession, does it? Dotti

Besides those plants are calling me, wanting a new home where they have room to breath and grow. And some of them really get loud! That isn't obsession, is it? HeHeHe

This message was edited Oct 21, 2005 12:43 PM

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Todd, I see you have some suggestions for us Upper Midwest folks.

Spose you'd like to mosey on over and see what you think Mellinger's sold me with those "generic" names? They were cheap is all I know, and tiny too, (spose they were seed grown?)

I'd like some with a different leaf and color, oh yeah, cheap is good too!!! Legit

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/553459/

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lovely Todd! We just picked up a few of these from Nurseries Caroliniana on a trip to Georgia. Can't wait to see them in our garden!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

They were small plants and the 'green dwarf' looks a lot like the ordinary species. Check the base of the trunk to see if there is a crook...if so, then they were grafted. At those prices, it is worth the experiment. Locally, my problem with such small plants would be snow-loading in winter crushing them. In your case, the wire cage scenario filled with leaves might do the trick. My brother does that in Calgary to grow Feb. Daphne which is zone 4....he is zone 3..and it works. BTW, rabbits LOVE JP's!

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Todd, As you saw, the larger one never has had it's cage off, and the cutleaf one has a wire milk crate it lives under, just took it off for the pic. The other two, thanks for the reminder, need to get covered up again, the bunnies are worst in the winter, but they just got a small chokeberry bush on me a week ago, so I need to step it up. A skunk got in my live trap, and now it stinks, I don't know how I'm gonna get a rabbit to go in there to eat now!!! I've pretty much done the leaves, and mulch, but not more than that.

I have winter sown some nice JM, made it through the first winter in the ground, but didn't make the second. Rats! Legit

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's my Acer pseudosieboldianum as of Oct. 30

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oooOOOOOhhhhhhHHHhhhhh... !!!

Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.